Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dreaded Death Wobble for Newbie

Old 12-10-2009, 10:03 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get rid of that track bar bracket and get a good adjustable track bar.

When you do this, inspect the mounts for cracking, make sure the holes in the track bar mount are not wallowed or "egged out" and that the bolt fits snug.

Finally make sure your track bar is torqued to 125-135 ft lbs. Check the holes first though, because if they are wallowed out it won't matter how much you tighten your track bar.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:10 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by laredojk
i had the dreaded death wobble, but after help from this forum i decided to check my alignment, i had it done at a shop and they had set it at about 3/8" in meaning that the tires were facing each other at the front, i believe that about a 1/4" in is the factory spec, but not for my 34" super swampers, so i went home and set the toe out 3/8" and it made a big difference, it was running much better and almost no wobble, then i installed the rough country dual stabilizer kit and thats it, its super smooth, i really really recommend the rough country dual set up, it has worked wonders on my jeep, my steering feels so stiff and smooth.....just my 2 cents...
if you still had wobble prior to the dual set up, you just covered up any problems you had..
Old 12-10-2009, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

im almost sure that my problem was and is the super swamper ltbs that im running cause they are bias tires that already have problems and cant be balanced, they are all lopsided.....
Old 12-10-2009, 12:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by toad
X2. I was going to comment about the relocation bracket. Check out my thread about DW. The relocation bracket is what caused mine. My fix was installing a heavy duty brace that mounts over the factory bracket and is welded to the other side of the frame. The factory brackets definitely need to be reinforced. You can check it out here: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=death+wobble
my rig is a daily driver and has never seen any wheeling yet. Are the brackets still not good enough.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:27 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by bmcghee1975
my rig is a daily driver and has never seen any wheeling yet. Are the brackets still not good enough.
Yes, people have snapped axle brackets off just parking their jeep when using those relocation brackets. Ditch it asap and go for an adjustable track bar.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Yes, people have snapped axle brackets off just parking their jeep when using those relocation brackets. Ditch it asap and go for an adjustable track bar.
so do i need a whole new track bar or just a different relocation bracket?
Old 12-10-2009, 12:43 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by bmcghee1975
so do i need a whole new track bar or just a different relocation bracket?
An adjustable track bar. Stay away from relocation brackets. Teraflex, Currie and a bunch more companies make them. Just do a search.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
An adjustable track bar. Stay away from relocation brackets. Teraflex, Currie and a bunch more companies make them. Just do a search.
thanks for the info. i will check into that.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:45 PM
JK Jedi

No problem. But also be sure to check your mounts for cracks and wallowed out bolt holes and also make sure you are torqued to at least 125 ft lbs.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
if you still had wobble prior to the dual set up, you just covered up any problems you had..
I am beginning to develop quite a bit of steering wheel wobble at 45 mph. It smoothes out under and over this speed. My alignment tech contributes this to a bowing effect of the drag link. If that is the case wouldn't the the dual kit effectively brace and elimate the vibration much the same way a new drag link would?

Quick Reply: Dreaded Death Wobble for Newbie