Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

drive shaft vibrations after install

Old 04-07-2011, 11:12 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
You have a RE lift with fixed lowers and adj uppers?

Lengthening the uppers will lower caster and raise the pinion, which should lessen the driveshaft vibes.
what he said. you will need to LENGTHEN you upper control arms and you should do this until your caster is sitting closer to +4°. that will help fix your vibes
Old 04-07-2011, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Lengthening the uppers will lower caster and raise the pinion, which should lessen the driveshaft vibes.
I thought so, I tried to tell the "yahoo" at the shop how to adjust it and he said he couldn't do it. I think he was being lazy about it.

Is this something I can do at home - by myself?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:18 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Added the link in my last post above.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry, missed that part.

This is what I got from the link though:

From the factory, your caster angle will be set at +4.2° and if you’ve just installed a 3" or taller lift on your Jeep JK Wrangler and are now running 35" tires or bigger, it is recommend that you increase the amount of caster you have to about +6°~7°. More caster will help your Jeep to drive straight, reduce or eliminate any "flightiness" or "dartiness" you might experience and it will even help prevent your ESP from activating.

I have a 3.5" lift with 35" tires, and my caster is at 5.7 - is this not right if I am going off the above statement?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:26 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Double Cardan shafts need different angles. It is a trade-off between good caster and good pinion angles.

Stock Shafts

Double Cardans

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-07-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:27 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by animated_robot
Sorry, missed that part.

This is what I got from the link though:

From the factory, your caster angle will be set at +4.2° and if you’ve just installed a 3" or taller lift on your Jeep JK Wrangler and are now running 35" tires or bigger, it is recommend that you increase the amount of caster you have to about +6°~7°. More caster will help your Jeep to drive straight, reduce or eliminate any "flightiness" or "dartiness" you might experience and it will even help prevent your ESP from activating.

I have a 3.5" lift with 35" tires, and my caster is at 5.7 - is this not right if I am going off the above statement?
+6 or so degrees of caster is optimal for handling but can cause vibrations when using an aftermarket drive shaft and or running 5.13 gears or higher. if this is the case, you need to set your caster closer to stock.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:45 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Corona Doug
Great Info!!! I beleive I'm having the same problem.

Had the lift done and on the rear they didn't change the CA at all... it was left with just the stock arms with a 4' lift? On the front, they only installed lower adjustable CA's. Does that sound like the correct way to do it?
sure, that setup would be fine but, if you're having vibrations, you probably have your front lowers set too long.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Talked to another shop that specializes in 4x4 vehicles and they are going to hook me up in the morning. Let you guys know the out come and hope setting the caster back to 4.2~4.5 solves the issue.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Two shops down, and still has vibration. Any ideas?
Old 04-08-2011, 09:47 AM
JK Freak

I would suspect an out of balance driveshaft at this point.

Quick Reply: drive shaft vibrations after install