JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Driveshaft Broke Again!! (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/driveshaft-broke-again-8173/)

onsafari 05-15-2007 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by jared1843 (Post 85440)
I hate to say it, but your tires are way too large for the Dana 30 axle in your front end. You'll continue to have problems with those tires on, and especially if you do any serious wheelin....

In stock form yes.....put some chromo shafts in there with a good locker and it will hold up pretty good. Was running 37's on my TJ with the Warn shafts and hubs on my 30 and run the hardest trails in Moab and Colorado and never busted anything in it.

ericdewayne 05-15-2007 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon (Post 85406)
No, i couldnt find where it said rain was slippery, but on the plus side for you, i couldnt find where it DIDNT say not to do it in the rain either. it does specifically say not to do it on dry. (nowhere that i found quickly did it say not do it on wet)

So you might be able to use that if they give you a hard time. maybe. :thinking:

Got a point there. I fly planes for the air force and if our manuals say DONT or WILL NOT and we do it and break something we get in serious trouble. But if it says SHOULD or SHOULD NOT then we can do whatever we want. :yup: Ive never seen anybody get nailed for breaking a plane when it says you SHOULD NOT do something. We always come back with "well theres nothing that says I cant" and it works every time. I dont know why things would be more serious with a jeep than with an aircraft!:thinking:

mbanik 05-15-2007 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by SLICKWILL (Post 85339)
hey guys i need some help im at work and cant find this answer.....first off my jeep broke down again on sunday, it was raining out and i was in 4high i was turning out of a parking spot and i herd a loud pop!! it was my front driveshaft. it broke and the yok broke passanger side. now this is the same thing that happen to my jeep 3 months ago (fixed under warrenty) so i went back to the same dealer... i get a call today saying that it is not covered because i was in 4 wheel drive on pavement which as the service guy told me is not allowed in my jeep at all other then off road... they said nothing about my lift only that i was in 4high, is that TRUE?? were not allowed to have are jeeps in 4wheel drive at all on road weather its raining or not?? or do you think that this is shit like i do and that its just a way for the dealer to try to get out of covering it. sounds like there saying its my lift without really blaming it. the guy didnt even know what modle jeep i had, he said well you have full lockers and.... no i have no lockers!

can anyone find were in the owners manual it says no 4wheel drive at all on roads other then in snow...because he told me to learn about my jeep and read the manual :mad:

yeah, with good traction (even wet pavement) the drivetrain will wind up in 4wd unless you are going perfectly straight and all the tires are the exact same size (equally worn) ... to release the windup the jeep will start to hop and the steering wheel will bounce back and forth ... or drivetrain components snap... you got the snap. :sad:

SLICKWILL 05-15-2007 01:19 PM

OK FIRST OFF Id like to thank the people here who have helped me and really tried to inform me of what i should do, thats what this website is for. Now for those of you that want to say...

Originally Posted by bofer84 (Post 85421)
i dont understand why you were in 4hi on the pavement when raining anyway. what good is 4wheel drive going to do....nothing, its there to keep you moving not help stop you, or keep you from slidding. if you start to slide, 4hi isnt going to help you at all, unless you know how to feather the gas to bring you back, but thats pretty hard. even then, whats the point....i dont understand how poeple can own 4x4s and not know this....even if you dont break a drive shaft, you are putting serious strain on the ball joints etc...its just going to wear them out.

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl (Post 85434)
its your own fault.... unless your tires are SHOT you do not need 4WD in the RAIN... how poor of a driver are you? I can do Blue3s off road in 2WD!.

Originally Posted by onsafari (Post 85449)
Also by reading what you described as to what broke you don't know the difference between a driveshaft and an axle shaft. Thinking maybe a Jeep 101 course might be what you need.

Originally Posted by Renegade (Post 85455)
He sure did.:rotflmao1: (for those of you who didn't catch it, he misspelled "moron")

that is not what this website is for, i may not know all the answers but i think i know a good amount about my jeep and what i dont know i learn on this site. this is my first 4x4 so i dont know how it all works. i have helped and have been helped, more times then i can count on this site and its people like you guys with your smart remarks that make people not like discussion forums and im sure that people have stopped visting this site because people on here did not treat them right. i think you all need to look at yourselfs and relize that your remarks were and always are uncalled for. once again thank you guys who really helped me you know who you are and thank you

Renegade 05-15-2007 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by SLICKWILL (Post 85525)
Now for those of you that want to say...
that is not what this website is for... i think you all need to look at yourselfs and relize that your remarks were and always are uncalled for.

If you took offense, I am sorry. You were the one however who called yourself a "moran", not me. I just found it very humorous that someone calling himself a moron actually misspelled that particular word. Can you not find the humor in that? Why the heck were you driving around in 4wd anyway? I will admit that sometimes I go off and post some sarcastic remarks that may be uncalled for, but 99.9% of my posts are information I truely believe will be helpful. I have been Jeeping for 18 years and really enjoy this forum. When I post something stupid on this board I expect people to call me on it. The truth is, NO, you shouldn't have been in 4wd, especially running 37's on a Dana 30. I'm sorry you broke your Jeep, but it IS your fault in this case. If you disagree with that, fine. Everyone on this forum is entitled to their own opinion. Good luck with your fix.

MJS_Jeep_888 05-15-2007 01:39 PM

As others have pointed out, 4WD on pavement is a no-no, unless that pavement is covered in snow and/or ice.

I wanted to address the other part of your question; i.e., is the dealer trying to blame it on your lift without saying it's the lift's fault directly. The answer is a big NO. If you lift your Jeep, the factory is pretty much free and clear from any such drivetrain issues that occur. In fact, if your dealer wants to be a real jerk about things, they can deny any engine claims that arise, by saying that the added stress of your lift and larger-than-factory-spec tires put undue strain on the engine. :naw:

When I asked my dealer's service department about lifts, custom exhausts, etc., they kept coming back with the same answer: Their contract with DCX forbids them from doing any warranty work on a modified vehicle without preauthorization from DCX, and they could get in big trouble with corporate if they were "offroad friendly." The guys themselves are all Jeep people, and understand why I want to lift it, etc., but all of them gave me the same line: Wait until warranty runs out, or pay for anything that goes wrong out-of- pocket.

Oh, and by the way, I don't think you're a moron. I think you were probably trying to be as safe as possible in slick conditions - not trying to break your Jeep intentionally. Sorry to hear about your trouble, and hope that the dealership comes through for you somehow! :D

SLICKWILL 05-15-2007 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Renegade (Post 85542)
If you took offense, I am sorry. You were the one however who called yourself a "moran", not me. I just found it very humorous that someone calling himself a moron actually misspelled that particular word. Can you not find the humor in that? Why the heck were you driving around in 4wd anyway? I will admit that sometimes I go off and post some sarcastic remarks that may be uncalled for, but 99.9% of my posts are information I truely believe will be helpful. I have been Jeeping for 18 years and really enjoy this forum. When I post something stupid on this board I expect people to call me on it. The truth is, NO, you shouldn't have been in 4wd, especially running 37's on a Dana 30. I'm sorry you broke your Jeep, but it IS your fault in this case. If you disagree with that, fine. Everyone on this forum is entitled to their own opinion. Good luck with your fix.

well i dd spell it wrong hhahah i relize now that 4wheel dirve is not good in any case but. i have had a lot of old cars rear wheel drive and the spin out bad in the rain, my logic was 4 wheel because of that and the fact of my boggers they dont drive so hot in the rain, i think we all know that... my thing is better to be safe then sorry in this case i am SORRY in everyway

jeepik 05-15-2007 01:59 PM

im still confused at what you broke??

this is quoted from your initial post

"it was my front driveshaft. it broke and the yok broke passanger side"

yoke is with an "e" for future reference, are you saying you broke the axle shaft???

the driveshaft is the big splined thing connecting the transfer case and the big round part of your axle,

the axle shafts are what spin your wheels

did you break the axle shaft??? or a driveshaft???

if it is an axleshaft, then 37's on the dana 30 and this is the expected result, so an upgrade should be in your future anyhow,

if it was the driveshaft, then can you give us a little more descirption of what exactly broke???

bofer84 05-15-2007 02:02 PM

i understand this site can be for help, but everyone on here has at some point in time taken some heat from somebody, its a part of life buddy. What i stated wasnt a mean thing, and i will say it again, why do you need 4wheel drive when raining. Your jeep has ESP for that, not 4wheel drive. If this is your first jeep and your hear to learn and gain info from this site, why didnt you ask before it broke....it would have saved you alot of trouble. This is what this site is here for.

SLICKWILL 05-15-2007 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by jeepik (Post 85563)
im still confused at what you broke??

this is quoted from your initial post

"it was my front driveshaft. it broke and the yok broke passanger side"

yoke is with an "e" for future reference, are you saying you broke the axle shaft???

the driveshaft is the big splined thing connecting the transfer case and the big round part of your axle,

the axle shafts are what spin your wheels

did you break the axle shaft??? or a driveshaft???

if it is an axleshaft, then 37's on the dana 30 and this is the expected result, so an upgrade should be in your future anyhow,

if it was the driveshaft, then can you give us a little more descirption of what exactly broke???

the dealer told me both the drive shaft and the axle shaft im not sure though ill know more tomorrow when i get a complete report from them