Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

driveshaft gone bad?

Old 08-20-2011, 10:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driveshaft gone bad?

As some of you know, I've been having issues with my pinion seal leaking, bearings going bad, and driveshaft being loose.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...on-ring-issues

I got my Jeep back from the shop yesterday to fix the previously stated problems, only to find that I still get this weird popping noise when turning my Jeep or hitting speed bumps. Also, when I put the Jeep in 4wd, it makes this terrible clicking noise. I am assuming this is the case of a driveshaft gone bad? The noise is coming from the part of the driveshaft that is not attached to the differential (the boot part).

This Jeep is about to make me crazy!!!
Old 08-20-2011, 11:20 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you said boot, do you mean at the upper part of the ds rzeppa joint? Its very possible that you fubared the joint in the ds driving around with a f'd up loose pinion nut. Usually you can find stock replacements for the front cheap. I'd pull the front ds for now.

While your at it, check your front axle u-joints, those can click too.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
When you said boot, do you mean at the upper part of the ds rzeppa joint? Its very possible that you fubared the joint in the ds driving around with a f'd up loose pinion nut. Usually you can find stock replacements for the front cheap. I'd pull the front ds for now.

While your at it, check your front axle u-joints, those can click too.
I don't know exactly where it is coming from, but I mean the part of the driveshaft that isn't at the axle end.. The other end of the driveshaft is where the noise is coming from.

Can you drive around without a ds? Pros and cons?
Old 08-20-2011, 11:25 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by centerfieldr162
I don't know exactly where it is coming from, but I mean the part of the driveshaft that isn't at the axle end.. The other end of the driveshaft is where the noise is coming from.

Can you drive around without a ds? Pros and cons?
You'll be perfectly fine driving around without a front ds. Only con is that you don't have 4wd.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
You'll be perfectly fine driving around without a front ds. Only con is that you don't have 4wd.
How long can I drive without one?
Old 08-20-2011, 11:46 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by centerfieldr162
How long can I drive without one?
As long as you want too. It's not going to hurt anything, other than feeling like your jeeps balls got cut off and is 2wd now.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like your driveshaft is toast, I just talked to a buddy who pretty much had the same problem and his driveshaft basically froze. I would pull it for sure. the center boot on my ds has been torn for a while, need to replace mine to avoid blowing another ds on the highway! lol

Quick Reply: driveshaft gone bad?