Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Drop in air filter

Old 08-15-2012, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop in air filter

Does anyone know the hp/tq difference between using a drop in filter and an entire filter system? I'm looking to do one of the two in the near future and I don't know which would be better. Thanks y'all!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

i use a drop in k&n in my 12' i didnt feel like droping $300+ on a cai and im going to be doing the air raid ubi 3'' tube kit. i like the stock box but the air chambers in my intake i feel hold back power
Old 08-15-2012, 09:46 AM
JK Freak

I did the AFE drop in and I feel its the best of both worlds.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dropped in afe pro dry filter and I think it's me but it seems to have given me a +1 gain in mpg.
Augi
Old 08-15-2012, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

I have a drop in k&n in my 08 and i gained 1 mpg. I do mostly highway driving.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

You won't notice much difference between the drop in and cai besides noise and a bigger dent on your wallet. I went with a k&n drop in and noticed a slight improvement over stock, and it's reusable
Old 08-16-2012, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I can't say enough good things about the Banks CAI I put in my 2012. I have ~1500 miles on my Jeep so far, put the CAI in at 400 miles. My MPG (mixed city/highway) went from 16.4 to 17.8 which I really don't care too much about... But the pick up power and torque is definitely noticeable and it sounds awesome.

The size of the opening on the Banks intake housing is enormous compared to the stock housing so you can imagine how much more air is reaching the engine. Not sure what a drop in filter would change in that regard because the opening on the stock housing is at a 90 degree angle facing up and is significantly smaller.

I'm the first to admit that I don't know anything about engines and maybe a drop in filter will get you similar results. But I'm really happy with the purchase and would recommend it.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

I never notice a difference between any air filter its so minimal.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tymonster
I can't say enough good things about the Banks CAI I put in my 2012. I have ~1500 miles on my Jeep so far, put the CAI in at 400 miles. My MPG (mixed city/highway) went from 16.4 to 17.8 which I really don't care too much about... But the pick up power and torque is definitely noticeable and it sounds awesome.

The size of the opening on the Banks intake housing is enormous compared to the stock housing so you can imagine how much more air is reaching the engine. Not sure what a drop in filter would change in that regard because the opening on the stock housing is at a 90 degree angle facing up and is significantly smaller.

I'm the first to admit that I don't know anything about engines and maybe a drop in filter will get you similar results. But I'm really happy with the purchase and would recommend it.
I'm skeptical about mpg gains with CAI's. K & N doesn't claim mpg gains and many would consider them the leader in CAI's. The ecu is tuned for 14.7 AF ratio and more air is more fuel. I would expect that most your gains came from break in miles and you will probably continue to improve. I'm not anti CAI, I'll probably buy one this year, mostly for the sound and 3-5hp.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's the only reason i got mine, for the sound and minor but noticeable boost.

Quick Reply: Drop in air filter