Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drop down tire carrier

Old 09-13-2017, 08:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop down tire carrier

Any body running a Poison Spyder or GenRight or built your own drop down tire Carrier? Any thoughts?
Old 09-14-2017, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher
Any thoughts?
I'm not a fan of the concept if you're in and out of the back of your Jeep with any regularity. Having to raise and lower anything bigger than a 33" tire on a regular basis will get old in a hurry. On the bright side, you can save money on a gym membership.

The swing away carriers, especially the ones that move with the gate, are pretty hard to beat.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:18 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

The PSC and Genright carriers are nice.....and very pricey as well. IMO suited for a 40" or so, but silly for a 33, 35, or 37. I agree with Jordy in that something that swings with the tailgate is best for a daily driver. Having seen most of these in perrson, I think the Teraflex or Metalcloak models are better than bumper/spindle mounted ones that tie to the tailgate. I personally wouldn't go with one of the knock off brands, but to each their own.

Jordy - you have 40's.....is that a 40 in your avatar, or was that a pre-40 shot? Curious what that's mounted on if it is a 40.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001

Jordy - you have 40's.....is that a 40 in your avatar, or was that a pre-40 shot? Curious what that's mounted on if it is a 40.
I cheated and have a 37" for a spare. It's a bumper mounted swing carrier that was built by Red Rock Fab. It's plenty stout and I could put a 40 up there, but really don't need to. Axles are open if I need to put a spare on, but with beadlocks and a pretty hefty plug and patch kit, the spare is kind of a decoration. I'm knocking on wood very heavily right now as I'm not a fan of changing tires. I did the mount and dismount of these tires a year and a half ago and can tell you that was lots of fun. 24 bolts per ring.

Quick Reply: Drop down tire carrier