Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dual ARB Compressor - mounting?

Old 11-29-2013, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed mine on top of the right rear fender well.. It keeps it clean, cool and out of the way..

Go Topless :-)
Old 11-29-2013, 07:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the second ARB Twin now.
The first one was sold with the Jeep and bought another ARB Twin for the new Jeep.
It inflates fast and "doesn't complain" when airing 3 Jeeps in the desert, at 46 Celsius (115 F).

The one I sold was installed in a cube shaped frame, just behind the rear seat, passenger side. The frame was covered with plates -- leaving room for ventilation -- so nothing which can melt or burn could touch the hot compressor after inflating.
I didn't like this location, as it occupied a fixed space and interfered with modular packing for longer trips or camping,

I didn't want it under a seat (difficult access). Under a seat, BTW, it becomes more quiet.

In order to gain packing modularity and accessibility, this time I got the portable ARB Twin, which comes mounted in a heavy duty case that contains everything for the tires.
It's now easier to pack at the rear, according to the moments' need, easier to get to, and it's sometimes easier to air a friends' Jeep by taking the compressor to it, rather than stretching a long hose.

I wouldn't install a compressor in the engine bay, where it gets "cooked" by the heat, where it sucks pre-heated air, and exposed to water, sand & dust. The compressor, especially the air filter, don't like any of these.

I'd put it anywhere, inside the Jeep.

Permanent installation requires a thick continuous cable directly from the battery.
(The switch was inside the center console, from where it's easy to pass the wiring down, under the body, to the front.)
The portable compressor eliminates the wiring, unless you want a socket/switch at the rear, which I did.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ARB Portable Compressor 001.jpg
Views:	1009
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	513406 Click image for larger version

Name:	ARB Portable Compressor 003.jpg
Views:	973
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	513407

Last edited by GJeep; 11-29-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the EVO bracket. Works perfectly, even in the CRD diesel.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Silversurfer
I installed mine on top of the right rear fender well.. It keeps it clean, cool and out of the way..

Did you make your own bracket? This is what I'm thinking of doing.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mxguy54
Did you make your own bracket? This is what I'm thinking of doing.
I used the mount that came with the ARB twin. It has 4 holes on each end, I just drilled into the flat area on the top of the fender well. I bolted it straight on, then sprayed then inside of the fender with tar..

Old 11-30-2013, 03:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
I have the second ARB Twin now.
The first one was sold with the Jeep and bought another ARB Twin for the new Jeep.
It inflates fast and "doesn't complain" when airing 3 Jeeps in the desert, at 46 Celsius (115 F).

The one I sold was installed in a cube shaped frame, just behind the rear seat, passenger side. The frame was covered with plates -- leaving room for ventilation -- so nothing which can melt or burn could touch the hot compressor after inflating.
I didn't like this location, as it occupied a fixed space and interfered with modular packing for longer trips or camping,

I didn't want it under a seat (difficult access). Under a seat, BTW, it becomes more quiet.

In order to gain packing modularity and accessibility, this time I got the portable ARB Twin, which comes mounted in a heavy duty case that contains everything for the tires.
It's now easier to pack at the rear, according to the moments' need, easier to get to, and it's sometimes easier to air a friends' Jeep by taking the compressor to it, rather than stretching a long hose.

I wouldn't install a compressor in the engine bay, where it gets "cooked" by the heat, where it sucks pre-heated air, and exposed to water, sand & dust. The compressor, especially the air filter, don't like any of these.

I'd put it anywhere, inside the Jeep.

Permanent installation requires a thick continuous cable directly from the battery.
(The switch was inside the center console, from where it's easy to pass the wiring down, under the body, to the front.)
The portable compressor eliminates the wiring, unless you want a socket/switch at the rear, which I did.

Attachment 513406 Attachment 513407
Good comments about underhood conditions.

Think I will install an air intake that pulls air from outside the underhood area.

Not too worried about temps with the ARB having a full-time cooling fan, but something to keep an eye on. The longest run times are when the hood is open. The electric motor and compressor can handle a lot of heat. Its not unusual for an electric motor to be too hot to touch after running for a while.

Dust and dirt are always a problem. I think the interior of mine gets as dirty as the engine. Periodic maintenance to remove accumulated dirt is a good plan.

X2 on the heavy cable, regardless of where its mounted. For a cable run longer than the cable supplied by ARB, it should be a size or two larger than the ARB cable. The supplied fuse is fine.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:46 AM
JK Newbie

How hard was it to install in this location?
AnyAny bracketry required?

Originally Posted by nkijkuit
I have the EVO bracket. Works perfectly, even in the CRD diesel.
Ooh now im interested if you had pics that would be awsome!
Is yours right hand drive by any chance?
Old 03-31-2014, 04:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeep_jk112
How hard was it to install in this location?
AnyAny bracketry required?

Ooh now im interested if you had pics that would be awsome!
Is yours right hand drive by any chance?
I had to remove the skirt in the back right fender first, then using the mount that came with the dual ARB I marked out drill points.. It's easy to do, but you will need plastic rivets to attach fender and skirt back together.. Mine is a LHD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2016, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

I had to remove the skirt in the back right fender first, then using the mount that came with the dual ARB I marked out drill points.. It's easy to do, but you will need plastic rivets to attach fender and skirt back together.. Mine is a LHD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
how did you wire this?
what kind of wireing did you use all the way back up front?
Old 01-10-2017, 04:05 PM
JK Newbie

How did you wire your compressor?...did it come with a pre made loom..if so,was it long enough or did you have to extend it.
thanks
jimmi V

Quick Reply: Dual ARB Compressor - mounting?