Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dual Batteries ...

Old 04-25-2008, 05:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dual Batteries ...

I am thinking about using all that space under the back seats of my Rubicon for a dual battery setup. Once thebattery is out of the engine compartment there will be a nice little nesting spot for the onboard air compressor

Does anyone here have any positive or negative suggestions about doing so?

Your thoughts on the subject?

Burndog
Old 04-25-2008, 06:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by burndog
I am thinking about using all that space under the back seats of my Rubicon for a dual battery setup. Once thebattery is out of the engine compartment there will be a nice little nesting spot for the onboard air compressor

Burndog
I say that's a great idea. Do it to it ! and please post pics. when you get it done.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Burndog
Is yours a 4 Door? If so, won't that make it so you can never fold the seat? The bottom goes forward and down when you fold the seat.
If yours is a 2 Door, then I don't know.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

Default I dunno

It might not be a good idea to put the battery in the passenger compartment b/c they vent toxic/flamable gasses . Even gel cells.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:07 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by hellazuki
It might not be a good idea to put the battery in the passenger compartment b/c they vent toxic/flamable gasses . Even gel cells.
I gave up giving this advice. Most people don't believe it. Only the most expensive batteries recover the vented gas, and then only 90% of it. The rest goes into the surrounding area.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Burndog
I think its a terrible idea. I'm an Auto Body Tech of 24 years an believe me you don't want a battery in the passenger compartment for several reasons. First of all, most if not all 12 volt car batteries constantly vent acidic gas especially when they are under a heavy load and get hot. Even a Optima battery has the ability to vent as well so unless you like breathing battery fumes that a good enough reason right there. Secondly, any car battery can explode at any time spraying you and your Jeep with acid. In addition, battery fumes are highly flammable and can accumulate and catch fire with the slightest spark such as occurs with static electricity discharges when you get in and out of the Jeep. Then there is a scenario where you crash your Jeep over an embankment and your Jeep is hanging upside down against some trees. All the sudden those batteries that where once on a horizontal plane with your body are now suspended above you leaking acid onto you as you lay in a semi-conscious state. I'm still trying to heal up an acid burn on my forearm where I brushed up against a splash shield that had battery acid all over in from a wreck and that was 2 weeks ago. Acid burns are no fun and don't heal quickly at all.

Figure out something different and keep them under the hood where they belong. I noticed once I put the Airaid in that the empty space where the OEM airbox was would hold another battery with the use of a custom tray.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Default What about running dual marine batteries???

Would that still increase your amperage draw vs. a single automotive 12v batt?

Or would the best solution be run an Optima with a higher output alternator?

I am concerned about a power source for the new 9000i winches during extended duty...
Old 04-26-2008, 08:16 AM
JK Jedi Master

Have you decided against installing the batteries inside the passenger compartment? Hope so.
Why would you want to permanently install a second battery? Aren't people doing well with the one original battery? There are lots of winches on the trails out there.
You asked for thoughts on the subject, so here you go:
If I were going to need a second battery for winching, I would consider the following.
Get a battery box designed to hold/carry a sealed car battery.
Install leads on the box with a heavy duty DC receptacle on the end (marine supply catalog).
Permanently install the mating plug on the Jeep with leads to your OEM battery so when the second battery is plugged in, they will be parallel.
Make a way to strap the extra battery to the top of the front bumper. It would be there only when needed. Otherwise, securely strap it in the back when you pack for a wheeling trip.
You would have two batteries for winching, both being charged while the engine is running. But, when not wheeling, you are not dragging around an extra battery. It can remain at home being properly maintained and always ready.
This would be a great way to jump start your vehicle if you find a dead battery some cold winter morning.
The steps above are just a brief outline, but the idea is there. I believe it would be worth the extra effort to not have a permanently installed second battery.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a marine gel cell 1000amp
for a spare i carry a 700Amp booster pack
maybe in the future when there is a dual battery tray for under the hood i will have a second battery
Old 11-04-2008, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About 6 years ago I moved the battery in my 3000GT to the rear hatch area. I used a battery relocation kit that came with a battery box from summit. I haven't had any problems with the set up. It's nice having all that extra space under the hood.

Quick Reply: Dual Batteries ...