Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DV 8 rear bumper? To get or not to get

Old 05-17-2018, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DV 8 rear bumper? To get or not to get

So I have an opportunity to pick up this bumper with a tire carrier
https://dv8offroad.com/collections/jeep-jk-rear-bumpers/products/rs-1br
For under 3 bills. Not only I need to talk my wife into it too it I also need to talk myself into it a bit.

I am wondering how much sag will I get from it.... the upside is that I will be able to mount hilift, fuel can and shovel in the back (with a bit of fabrication) but I wonder if the hitch will be good for towing (worried about the tongue weight more then the pull weight).

anyways, open to any random thoughts, comments, suggestions regarding this bumper....
Old 05-18-2018, 03:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Check the weight. I can not seem to find it. Might be offaly heavy in spite of half price. U will “pay” for that in gas and maybe sag. Looks verses function trade off .

Just texting out loud. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
kejtar (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 07:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Essentially a knock off Smitty's XRC. No details in your profile. Are you still stock? If you're removing plastic factory and replacing with that, y, it's gonna be a shit ton more weight. If you do see some sag, you could always pop some leveling spacers in there though. Hard to tell from the pictures....Towing might really depend on how the hitch is welded and braced. None of these after market guys will rate for towing except for Smittybilt I think, and their hitch is reinforced with bolting to the rear crossmember. It's a little hard to tell from those pictures if that hitch is doing the same....kinda looks like it might be. Regardless, $300 seems like a good price if you like it. There are disadvantages to that tire carrier design....like not being tied to the tailgate for example. At that price though, you have little downside risk.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all! So I'm stockish I have the heavier springs in the back now (stock 60's) and a spacer. I heard back on the weight from DV8 and it's around 120 lbs... Which is not too bad BUT I also have the concern that it does not tie into the gate so I'm afraid of "wiggle".

The money is tempting but I think that this might not really be fitting the bill and most of what you guys said confirms that so I think I'm going to walk away from it.

Oh yeah, regarding towing, it's 2K dry trailer and probably under 300 tongue weight.

Thanks all!
Old 05-18-2018, 11:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

My very first rear bumper was the Smitty XRC tire carrier combo. You get used to opening the tire carrier and then getting in to the tailgate. You just have to be extremely diligent in making sure you get it closed, and I would also advise to make sure it locks somehow....even if that means you have to fabricate something. Not to "lock" per se, but to 100% guarantee it's not gonna come unlatched and fly open on you. I managed to drill a small hole in a bracket and use a cotter pin to make sure the handle couldn't come up. Mine was the gen 1 model that had some issues with that.

Quick Reply: DV 8 rear bumper? To get or not to get