Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynatrac Prorock 44's or 60's in the front?

Old 02-19-2011, 12:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynatrac Prorock 44's or 60's in the front?

Hello,

I think I'm going to order new axles next week and I've got a estimate from Dan at Dynatrac.

I already chose the rear axle and that's definately going to be the prorock 60. Now I'm still debating on the front.

I really would like to know your thoughts, but keep the next in mind. I live in Europe (Belgium) and will do a different offroading over here (I think). I mean not to much rockkrawling, but mud, snow, slippery pads in the forest etc throughout Europe. Here's just an example, this is a competion and I'm planning on only doing recreational driving, so basically the same, but without the time limit and less damage (I hope) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgjuljc0dmc .

The plan is not to go above 37" tires and Dan said I would be fine with the prorock 44 and re-use the original wheel ends ans brakes. It's not that I question his expertise, but want to know your thougths. So now I'm debating on;

-Buying the prorock 60 front with the end package (knuckles, (larger) brakes etc). Most expensive option
-Buying the prorock 44 front with the end package. A little less expensive
-Buying the prorock 44 front without the end package and use the ones on the current D30 with standard brakes. Offcourse the most less expensive option.

At first I wanted to use the original rims (5x5") which can only fit on the 44, but if the prorock 60 is that much better, then maybe it's better to add new rims.

Please help me out a little?
Old 02-19-2011, 02:06 AM
JK Newbie

I personally believe that 37" tires for that competition must be a little small, you can go to 40's, keep a relatively low center of gravity and obtain a great ground clearance, and then you should go for a D60 (and a Hemi or other powerful engine)
Old 02-19-2011, 05:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to be off topic here, but holly crap what kind of winch are they using in the video? I've never seen a winch that fast.

With that kind of wheeling I would think you would want the best you can afford. If you can afford the 60s, I would think that is the way you would want to go. Just my .02
Old 02-19-2011, 06:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Wow, cool video. If you have the $, get tha 60 so you dont have to worry about it.

I'm guessing that winch was hydro.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

OK I understand that it's always better to buy the best, but it doesn't need to be overkill. For example if I should buy the prorock 44 and fit the original wheel ends, will these bend or are they sufficient?

PS the video is to give an idea of what is done over here. If you see this guy's car, that's not what I'm planning to do to my car. But I'm not scared to get a dent or scratch.

Maybe someone with experience with these axles can tell me a little more?
Old 02-19-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Id rather have a 60 up front and a 44 in the rear. The front articulates more and gets the U joints involved ect. If you can afford 2 60's get em, otherwise i would honestly rather keep the factory 44 rear and have a 60 front.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Since you are not rock crawling and not doing any serious jumping, not sure that you need a 60 in front. I think the ProRock 44 stuffed with RCVs would be more than enough. Again, if you are not rock crawling or jumping, I think that D30 ends would be fine. I know you have your mind made up on a D60 rear end, but I think that there are companies coming out with lockers that will accept a 35 spline axle in a stock D44 JK housing. I would think that for your style of wheeling, that would be pretty stout, without the extra weight of the D60. (Basically a D60 axle shaft in a D44 housing.) Have you compared the weight of the D44 to the ProRock 60? Just a factor to consider. I wheel 37s with D44s (RCVs in front) and have never had an issue. My wheeling is rock crawling. that is my $.02.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can afford the 60 go with that. It looks like you will be doing a lot of wheel spin so the 60 would have a larger u joint and a larger ring and pinion so less chance of breakage.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have dual 60s in my TJ. I have a rear 60 in my JK and a 44 up front. I'm going with a 60 up front again as well.

I suggest going with either a 60 in the front or the Dynatrac 44 with full 60 outers.

If you can afford it, I suggest doing it right the first time so you don't head back to the money pit time and time again.

My TJ never breaks - that's what your paying for!
Old 02-19-2011, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

OT but for the person who asked it is a Hydrolic winch.

Quick Reply: Dynatrac Prorock 44's or 60's in the front?