Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno test on 35" tires w/wo Superchips

Old 01-12-2010, 04:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno test on 35" tires w/wo Superchips

I recently lifted my '09 Rubicon with an Northridge long travel OME kit. It lifted the jk 3" in the rear and 3.25" in the front (no heavy bumper or winch on the front yet). The look was weak so I added 35" Goodyear MT/R kevlars. Now of course I am not too happy with the performance so I bought a Ripp SC while they were on sale aroung Christmas time. Before installing the SC I decided to have the JK dynoed today. I used a Superchips Flashpaq to tune the engine to 93 octane "performance" tune (which is what I regularly drive around with). My tank was full of 94 octane Phillips fuel (as reported at the pump). After 2 "93 octane" pulls I retuned the engine to 87 octane (stock tune) and made one more run. And the results are:

87 Octane Tune
RWHP= 120
RW torque= 143

93 Octane Tune
RWHP= 127
RW torque= 153

You can draw your own conclusions but this proves to me that the Superchips works and that a blower should help more. I intend to dyno tune the Ripps SC setup once it's installed but that may be in a month.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

can you post the dynos? Where are the gains above 4000rpms? Honestly though 7whp for $250+ bucks is a bit hard to swallow! That's like 10hp at the crank even. I used to do chiptuning for VW/Audi. I never understood why people would buy chips unless they wanted to change shiftpoints or had a turbo where they got 30+whp.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty minimal gains once it hits the wheel. However I think overall driveability is better. I'm not so much concerned with wide open throttle results, I spend about 99.9% of my time NOT at wot. The tuner seems to make everyday driving with less effort and that little more pull where I'm looking for it.

Thanks for posting the results, that is interesting to see. It's hard to compare really daily driving it. With my 6speed it's certainly favorable to have the tuner (now that i finally have one)
Old 01-12-2010, 07:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Quick question to clarify...Was the 87 pull on the factory stock tune, or the SC 87 tune? Just asking, I'm curious to see the different in the 87 and 93 tunes from SC.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:21 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 08RubiUnlimited
Quick question to clarify...Was the 87 pull on the factory stock tune, or the SC 87 tune? Just asking, I'm curious to see the different in the 87 and 93 tunes from SC.
In the text he mentions stock tune, which i am assuming is the 87 tune. But kinda playing with words since the superchips has the 87 tune
Old 01-13-2010, 05:03 AM
JK Freak

Answers to your questions:

1) I can post the dyno but I am ashamed to say that when I examined the graph closer last night I found that the y axis was TIME not RPM??? I don't know why the speed shop would do that but I will contact them to see if I can get the more relevant results. I do know that the RPM range was between 1500 with cutoff of 4000 so that might explain the lower numbers at least somewhat.

2) 87 tune was "stock tune" on the programer, sorry if this was unclear.

I fully agree with all those who think highly of the Superchips. I FEEL a major improvement in the overal driveability of the vehicle. I drove it around on stock tune yesterday and brother what a dog!. It bogged down on every lilttle hill around here.

I have felt a major drop in overal performance with the lift. It almost seems like the drive shaft is binding but before the super charger goes on I am replaceing the rear shaft and rear upper control arms to correct pinion angle. Shaft and CA's should be here later this week. I also changed tires from 33" TOYO Open Country M/T to the 35" Goodyear MT/R with kevlar. Mileage went UP slightly but I did overstress the clutch once already!

One last thing, my JK is a 6 speed so the benefits of the Superchips on the auto are not there. By my calculations the Flashpaq actually improves Rear Wheel Horse Power by slightly less than 6%.

Last edited by Fathom; 01-13-2010 at 05:09 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Horsepower shmorsepower, one of my wheelin buddy's has a YJ with an old carburated 4.2l six (75rwhp at best) and he makes the rest of my buddys(one runnin a 350 in a cj-5) look like fools everytime. Its all in the gears, tires, and lockers. Yes he's locked front and rear, 37" boggers and 4.88's.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:59 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JEEP THRILLS
Horsepower shmorsepower, one of my wheelin buddy's has a YJ with an old carburated 4.2l six (75rwhp at best) and he makes the rest of my buddys(one runnin a 350 in a cj-5) look like fools everytime. Its all in the gears, tires, and lockers. Yes he's locked front and rear, 37" boggers and 4.88's.
I don't think anyone is doubting gearing will do well on the trail. But on road it comes down to torque and being able to not rev the crap out of your vehicle to get anywhere
Old 01-13-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Fathom
I drove it around on stock tune yesterday and brother what a dog!. It bogged down on every lilttle hill around here.
I love how the superchips has made the JK more responsive with the skinny pedal...it's wonderful for taking off the line...no boggy feel.

Originally Posted by Fathom
I also changed tires from 33" TOYO Open Country M/T to the 35" Goodyear MT/R with kevlar. Mileage went UP slightly but I did overstress the clutch once already!
:
I bet your 35" Goodyear MT/R's are still lighter than the 33's Toyo M/T's. Toyo's are one mother heavy tire!
Old 01-13-2010, 12:30 PM
JK Freak

Responses:

Jeep Thrills: I agree that if I trailered the JK out to Colorado or Utah hp would be a moot point. My JK performed admirably in Ouray (not that it was a huge challenge) but I had to drive through KANSAS . That is why along with the fact that I intend to use this truck as a DD for at least a year (really enjoy driving it anyway) I would like to see a performance increase.

Triple Jeep: Exactly! The tires weigh the same! Even though the Goodyears are a true 2" larger in diameter the weight stayed the same. I have even observed a 1 mpg increase in gas mileage on the Goodyears. After the lift with the Toyo's mileage was around 12.5 mpg now with the Goodyears yesterday was 13.6 mpg and that was figured based on odometer and gallons on the pump. Yes, I did recalibrate my JK's speedo with the Superchips and GPS.

Called the speed shop just now and asked if I could get the HP plotted against rpm and he thought so. The owner of the speed shop does not own the dyno but contracts for it. I mentioned that if I were going to dyno tune the Ripps "black box" I had to have rpm and his answer was "of course". If they didn't dump my data I should get it in 24-48 hours. I will post the graphs when I get them.

Last edited by Fathom; 01-13-2010 at 12:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Dyno test on 35" tires w/wo Superchips