Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E - Rated Tires

Old 03-28-2010, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E - Rated Tires

Are the E - Rated tires to stiff for the jk? I understand that air preasure will help some, but how bad is the ride? If it is used for a daily driver how bad will it hit the MPG? ( Rough riding )
Old 03-28-2010, 11:11 AM
JK Super Freak

They are stiff, no way around it. I run mine at 30psi, and it is bearable to me. If I had them inflated more, I may get a little better mpg, but the ride would really suffer. I drive mine 72 miles round trip, mostly hills on the freeway, and I average about 16 to 17 mpg. I really wanted this size tire (255/80R17) but it was only available in range E, so I tried it. I am 95% satisfied with my KM2's so far

I would not recommend them for a 2 door JK unless you really did not mind a rough ride.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

I believe the OEM tires are load range "C". Load range "E" are not necessary and are probally over kill for the JK, as far as load carrying capacity.

Th load range "E" tires have more robust construction for increased air pressure and load carrying, they will be stiffer and this will affect ride.

If you do not require the additional load range, the tires may not provide any additional benefits over the load range "C" tires.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:28 PM
MFX
JK Super Freak

I've got the E rated tires along with the TF 2.5" lift. I run them @ 28 psi and I have no complaints at all, I'm happy. There's not that much of a ride difference from the stock Duelers to my Duratracs IMO
Old 03-28-2010, 12:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An E range tire is significantly stiffer than the stock C range, but you run less air pressure and still carry the same load as the stock ones.

If you are worried about ride quality, you it will also dependend on your suspension and the specific tire you select. High void ratio MT's and stiff coils combined with an E rated tire will provide poor ride quality.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Load Range E tires on a JK are very economical. Considering the GVWR of a 2-door is 5000 lbs and 4-door is 5500 lbs, and most Load Range E tires carry at least 3,000 lbs (some well over 4,000 lbs), you only need two and will have plenty of margin.

Now if you can just figure out how to balance the JK on two wheels.

Why exactly would you want Load Range E tires? It would seem to me you would be giving up some off-road flexibility since the sidewalls would be stiffer. Is there some advantage I'm overlooking?
Old 03-28-2010, 12:59 PM
JK Newbie

Default I will let you know tomorrow

I have the 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers on my TJ which are E rated with 15mm sidewalls. They are the best especially dropping them down to 8 psi when off road.

I am installing Nitto Mud Grapplers (37's) on my new JK 4door tomorrow.

On my TJ I would run around 21 psi on the hwy.

I have cut the sidewalls on boulders pretty deep on my TJ and aired them up to 65psi to see if it would bulge and they did not. They are very durable.

Chido
Old 03-28-2010, 01:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
Why exactly would you want Load Range E tires? It would seem to me you would be giving up some off-road flexibility since the sidewalls would be stiffer. Is there some advantage I'm overlooking?
Better sidewall construction, less punctures.

More solid contact patch at low inflation rates and the tire doesn't fold over on itself, cupping the contact patch.

Less rear end sway as a result of the thicker sidewalls, advantageous for towing.

Less tread deflection when using undersized wheel width, aka poor man's beadlocks.

That's not to say there aren't plenty of advantage to running a load range C tire as well.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

In the old days, when the ply numbers were related to the load ratings, the higher load rated tires were stiffer.

On modern tires, its really more a function of an INDIVIDUAL make of tire, and its construction, as to how stiff it will feel.

This means that, depending upon HOW they reinforced the tire to handle the extra load, it may be more stiff, or even LESS STIFF than a lighter load range tire...of another make.

The higher load range tires now a days, are really max psi based ratings.

The higher load range tires are often more durable, tougher, and wear longer, than the lower load range versions.

They may require MORE pressure to support the same weight, or less, depending upon the exact tire.

The rubber compounds, the tread depths, etc, can differ between say the load range C and E tires, etc....and the higher load range tires are typically more reinforced with different cords and tire carcasses, etc.

The way these extra strong carcasses FEEL is dependent upon HOW they were reinforced.

So, the advantages of the higher load range tires CAN BE, they last for more miles, they are tougher on and off road, they have deeper tread depths, they typically handle better, due to less wishy washy construction, and of course, they can carry more weight.

CAN BE doesn't mean they always DO though....for example, depending upon the size, and the SPECIFIC tire, there are some C rated tires that carry more weight than some E rated tires, and some E rated tires that ride softer than some C rated tires, etc.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running E-load Cooper STT's in 35's and have nothing really to compare them to, but the ride is a little on the stiff side. Its not that bad, but its noticeable. I may downsize my wheel in the future to open up options for a C load tire.

Quick Reply: E - Rated Tires