Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easiest Soft Top Option for 4 Dr Hardtop

Old 02-21-2017, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easiest Soft Top Option for 4 Dr Hardtop

I own a '17 JK 4 Dr with a stock hardtop. I'm looking to add an optional after market soft top that is relatively simple to take down and replace. Years ago, I had a 2 Dr with a stock soft top that, to say the least, was too much of a hassle to take down and put up. Is there an after market soft top for a 4 Dr., that is easy to take down and to replace with out the trouble of the stock tops? Thank you
Old 02-21-2017, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

After much deliberation, I chose the Bestop Supertop NX Black Twill. It was pricier than some other options, but I certainly don't regret it. It was easy to assemble, and I was surprised how soft tops have evolved since my last soft top purchase. The material is excellent, and almost as quiet as my hard top! Definitely happy with my purchase.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

I had the Bestop Supertop NX Black Twill for a week and returned it. I opted for the OEM Dual top soft top. its easier for one person to put up and looks better IMHO.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

What year was your 2dr? The 10+ tops are considerably easier than the 07-09 and certainly easier than the TJ tops. Give us a baseline of 'difficulty'.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:36 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Rugged Ridge Power Soft Top? Maybe you can find one rotting on a shelf somewhere. Only like 9 grand or something, totally worth it for not having to suffer through raising and lowering a soft top all by yourself ...
Old 02-21-2017, 06:55 PM
JK Junkie

I have the 2012 OEM dual top soft top and it's easy to put up and down by myself.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:12 AM
JK Newbie

Default had a '98 2DR what a hassel

Originally Posted by karls10jk
What year was your 2dr? The 10+ tops are considerably easier than the 07-09 and certainly easier than the TJ tops. Give us a baseline of 'difficulty'.

My first Jeep was a 1998 2 DR. Loved it, but what a hassle to take the soft top down and up. There was no "sun" option as my '09 2 DR had, which permitted me to simply roll back the top to expose the driver and passenger seats. The latter worked fine, but I never attempted to take the entire top down, given my experience(s) with my '98. I assumed the '09 would be as difficult as the '98, but don't really know that for certain. So here I am with an '17 4 DR with a stock hard top, with the removable Freedom panels. I would like to remove the hard top for the summer, and replace it with a sturdy soft top, that is quick and easy to put up and down, and does not require multiple steps, zippers, clasps such as my '98.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcatty
...So here I am with an '17 4 DR with a stock hard top, with the removable Freedom panels. I would like to remove the hard top for the summer, and replace it with a sturdy soft top, that is quick and easy to put up and down, and does not require multiple steps, zippers, clasps such as my '98.
That may be a tall order. While the newer factory soft tops are a bit easier to use than the older tops (i.e. Cable assist), they still have a similar design that includes zippers, folding fabric, bows, hardware, etc. If you are looking for a JKU soft top that operates with the ease of your everyday convertible, then I don't know that you'll find one.

On a personal note, I do not find the JK or JKU factory soft tops to be much of a hassle any more. After some practice over the years, I can get the soft top completely down with windows stored in less than five minutes. Putting the top back up takes a little less time even. Do you feel that it's possible that you'll find the JKU soft top to be less of a hassle once you've gotten some experience with one?
Old 02-22-2017, 07:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Bestop Sunrider for hard top may be the best bet. I don't think it's all that inconvenient to have a full open-air vehicle. But if you do, something like that may suit you.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by rcatty
My first Jeep was a 1998 2 DR. Loved it, but what a hassle to take the soft top down and up. There was no "sun" option as my '09 2 DR had, which permitted me to simply roll back the top to expose the driver and passenger seats.

I would like to remove the hard top for the summer, and replace it with a sturdy soft top, that is quick and easy to put up and down, and does not require multiple steps, zippers, clasps such as my '98.
Ok, so now we have a point of reference. Yes, the old tops sucked. The tops on my 00, 02, 03, and 04 were all difficult but the new tops are much easier to deal with. There are no clips over top of the door to deal with. You just drop it on there and use the two clips up front.

The 4dr top is a little more cumbersome than the 2dr tops but since you're coming from the TJ era, they should all be easier. We've got more material around the zippers and the overall fit is better. Clipping in under the rail isn't nearly as tight but the fit is just as snug when it's all together.

Can you try one at the dealership, will they allow you to drop to the top.....for a "test drive"? That would be the route I take before buying anything.

Quick Reply: Easiest Soft Top Option for 4 Dr Hardtop