Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Eaton E-locker?

Old 10-23-2009, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eaton E-locker?

Hello guys, I'm a long-time lurker and first time poster looking to spend my money wisely.

I am about to install 5.13 gears in my X, and decided that it would be prudent to put a selectable locker in the rear and an Aussie in the front at the same time (I went cheap in the front, because that axle will be completely upgraded within the next couple years).

* I have a Detroit in the rear of my Suburban. It is great off-road, but is horrible on the street; tires skipping on turns and KAPOWW noises. My wife refuses to drive it. Not my idea of a good multipurpose locker, so out of the question.

* It seems like everyone who shows off their new OX lockers, is constantly messing with them on the trail. I don't think I am ready to trust these yet.

* I had ARBs in front and rear of my YJ, and in the rear of my XJ. Although they worked fantastic most of the time, it seemed like I had seal and line issues at the worst possible times. For the high price and the necessity of running air, I wonder if there are better options.

I am seriously considering the Eaton e-locker. Is anyone here currently using one on their JK? If so, do you feel it is worth the money?
Old 10-24-2009, 05:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by desertdawg
Hello guys, I'm a long-time lurker and first time poster looking to spend my money wisely.

I am about to install 5.13 gears in my X, and decided that it would be prudent to put a selectable locker in the rear and an Aussie in the front at the same time (I went cheap in the front, because that axle will be completely upgraded within the next couple years).

* I have a Detroit in the rear of my Suburban. It is great off-road, but is horrible on the street; tires skipping on turns and KAPOWW noises. My wife refuses to drive it. Not my idea of a good multipurpose locker, so out of the question.

* It seems like everyone who shows off their new OX lockers, is constantly messing with them on the trail. I don't think I am ready to trust these yet.

* I had ARBs in front and rear of my YJ, and in the rear of my XJ. Although they worked fantastic most of the time, it seemed like I had seal and line issues at the worst possible times. For the high price and the necessity of running air, I wonder if there are better options.

I am seriously considering the Eaton e-locker. Is anyone here currently using one on their JK? If so, do you feel it is worth the money?
When I was getting quotes on my 60's. I asked the same questions to all the suppliers. I really liked the electric lockers in my Rubicon. The switch sucked but the way they worked really impressed me. That being said everyone recommended Detriot or ARB. The Eatons have really come around. We run them in all our big rigs (Peterbilts) with zero problems for up to 750,000 miles. Every supplier will put in any kind of locker you want. I just didn't want to spend all that money without a track record on the new E-locker. So I went with ARB's. I had them in my CJ with zero issues also. If you go with them by all means let me know how they do. I would appreciate knowing. Also welcome to the board! I don't have a lot of posts either, but made some great friends to camp and wheel with on here.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:22 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks JKDinker!

I just met a guy here in Bakersfield that had elockers installed in his X by 4wheelparts. We are going out this weekend and he is going to let me try them out. You gotta love the jeep community!
Old 01-29-2010, 06:00 PM
JK Freak

I've had Eaton e-lockers front/rear for about a year now. Had some trouble with a wire but that was because it was exposed. My buddy took the time to re-route them for me (the long way) and I haven't had a problem since.

Oh, before that, I had some trouble with a fuse. Kept turning them on simultaneously. Now I turn them on one at a time and it works fine.

Not sure what else to say except they work. I only use them when absolutely necessary but that seems to be pretty often. About three weeks ago, I tried three different hillclimbs open and on every one, we stopped about 3/4 of the way up. As soon as I flipped the locker switches, the JK started crawling again.

BTW, I have OX lockers in my TJ. Got them installed because I thought he little shifters looked cool... On the way home from the shop, I realized the holes they drilled in the floorboard let in quite a bit of heat. (Summers are pretty hot down here in GA) Also, they had to mount the shifters on the side of the console down near the foot well and now the seat will not come all the way forward. That really sucks for the poor sap that has to get in the back.

Last edited by JoeBlob; 01-30-2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:06 PM
JK Super Freak

I am really interested in this as well for the back of my X. My tacoma had an e-locker and it was awesome. X2 for the update
Old 01-29-2010, 08:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was looking at the e-locker as well then decided to go with ARB air locker. Having them installed front and back on tuesday. I'll let you know what I think in a week or so.

Quick Reply: Eaton E-locker?