Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine swap in a 2008 jk with a 2010 motor??

Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap in a 2008 jk with a 2010 motor??

I Did a engine swap in my 2008 jk, I installed the same motor just out of a 2010 jk. I used the TIPM, wiring harness, ac compressor, power steering pump, altenator, and starter from my 2008 motor, and am having issues with the starter. Without the key in the ignition the motor started cranking as soon as I connected the battery terminals to the battery, and continued until I unhooked the terminal, which was only seconds later.

HELP PLEASE!!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

check the starter solenoid. as you know it closes with the turn of the key allowing voltage through the big cables. if there is 12 volts before you have the key you have a short in the ignition. if the solenoid is closed without the little wires on the solenoid is bad. it may be even as easy as the starter being hooked up backwards so that as soon as the battery cable gets attached it cranks. get the multimeter out and poke around. good luck.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Former Vendor

Check the connections at the starter. One is battery positive(big terminal) the other is switched 12volts from the starter relay. If your battery terminal is touching the smaller terminal it will continue to crank untill the battery is unhooked.

FYI. The PCM controls the starter relay.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:24 AM
JK Newbie

I had the starter replaced and it still did it! Come to find out, the power wire was touching the s terminal when it was tightened down...!!! Boy my mechanic friend felt stupid. Starter needed replacing anyways so no big deal. Thank you guys for the help.

Quick Reply: Engine swap in a 2008 jk with a 2010 motor??