Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESC / TC / EBS kicking in on left turn or minor launch..

Old 09-29-2018, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ESC / TC / EBS kicking in on left turn or minor launch..

Signed up a while ago, but usually just stalk for ideas.

I have a 2013 Rubi JKU.

About 3 years ago, cut down the front bumper, installed a winch plate, 8klb warn winch.
Of course sagged, so installed a 1.75 front spring spacer, and took out the OEM spacer.
And the JKU was just about flat, maybe a tad nose up.

Over all with the winch sag, gained 1.25" up front.

2wks ago, with the stock tires bald,bought rims (4.75" bs) and tires, put 285x75x17 (~34x11) on it, and have been running it for 2wks. Minor rubs on some hard hits at speed on back roads, figured once I hit the real trails, it'll rub bad.
I did re-calibrate for the new tires. Speedo is dead on.
But JKU ran fine and handled fine, no lights, no ESC/TC/ EBS kicking in or lights.
2wks, no issues, but for the minor rubs encountered.

So got a BB kit, and some other spacers.
Put a 1.75" rear spacer in, along with a rear bottom spring retainer, and extended the rear bump stop.

Added a 1" spacer up front (on top of the 1.75 that gave me a 1.25" lift with the weight of the winch).
Put on new swaybar links that were for lift 2-3" (I have ~2.25" total up front).
And added a bump stop puck to the bottom perch.
I have a near stock rake, which is ok , cause when we go for a trail ride out of state, we pack up, so wanted a small rake, so level when loaded.
There's ~ 3/4" difference front to back, nose ever so slightly lower.

Loved it when done.

Took it for a test drive, all right turns are perfect. Even hard right turns.
Left turns and even minor straight launchs from a dead stop, the ESC kicks in and activates the brakes.
It can just bring the JKU to a near complete stop.
Turn off the TC, and it doesn't happen at all.

I've read that even 2Deg off center of the steering wheel, and it'll upset the ESC.
The steering wheel looked fine, but yea, I get it, the physics of it all, will pull the wheel a tad off center.
So Played for hours adjusting the collar on the drag link.
I could make it soo bad, that the TC and ABS lights lite up, and no more problem!! LOL.
Cleared those codes, so those nannies could come back online, and brought it back and play with 1/3 turns of the collar, and I could make it less sensitive, or more, but can't get rid of it.

I'm planning on bringing it for an alignment.
But boy I figured with 2wks of greatness with the new tires.
Adding no more than 1" upfront (on top of the 1.25" already there that never gave me a problem) and 1.75" in the back can't be bad to do.

I haven't taken a tape to the front wheels to look at centering, but I've had a 99dodge ram 4x4 for 19 years, and played with the same suspension set up, and have done adjustable track bars by tape and by eye.
My JKU , by eye, looking at the fenders to tread, look so close to the same, I cant see a difference by eye.

Any idea?
Or are these JK nannies soo touchy, that's why some resort to the switch I've read about?

TIA !!

Last edited by 99tdr; 09-29-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Can't offer much, but will say my steering wheel is very forgiving. I can have it a little off center and no lights. And if the steering wheel does get off center, it throws the lights on, but does not brake at all. I have hit some rocks/stuff in past and it's knocked off steering wheel significantly. Was able to drive it like normal and at high speeds. I think off center just turns off the traction control like you hitting the switch.

The left side only is pretty wild. My guess would be something in that left side wheel. You might throw it on a lift and really check for any movement over there. I had a real float feeling to my steering a while back. Described it as a bobble-head feeling. Traction did come on when I hit potholes or bumps. Turned out I needed to replace bearings and hubs. Now it drives like rock solid. There may be some movement in that left wheel?
Old 10-01-2018, 05:45 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info and piping in.
Things feel solid.
The 34's have been on there for 2wks, things were perfect.Till the test drive after the minor lift.
I would think if it was a bearing / hub issue, would have showed up with the tires only, not just adding 1" to the front and 1.75" to the back.

Turned off the TC on the commute today, and it was perfect, got up to 65mph on a side road, felt ok.
I've read that using the TC off button, just detunes the ESC, doesnt really turn it off.

I doubled checked all my wiring to the wheels for the sensors, and made sure all the connectors were seated.
I scanned for codes, nothing. (but for when I move the drag link sleeve way off center, then it threw lights)
I have had 4 JKs, starting with my wifes 2009 which was totaled, my daughter has my 2010, I have my since new 2013 rubi, and my wifes 2015 (After the 2009 was totaled in 2015).
I've had a couple of wheel sensors go. while they do the same thing feeling wise, throwing on the brakes like throwing out an anchor, you get a light too, and throw codes even when just crawling through a parking lot.
This is soo predictable with the left hard turn, and the launch.
Reading a bunch of threads, others have reported the left hand issue too, and re-centering the wheel solved it ,and some had todo an alignment.
Re-centering isn't doing it for me.
Others gave up on the BB, and went full 3" lift kit, and problem was gone.
Big thing there is LCAs and rear trackbar bracket.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

This weekend installed a TF monster rear TB with the TF 2 hole rear TB mount, adjusted it all up and sooo much better.
Any launch but a full throttle launch, and the nannies aren't kicking in.
In all fairness, with the TC off, full throttle and I can get a spin of the a rear tire, with TC on / normal, I'd expect it to kick in.
Most hard left turn, no longer getting the nannies applying the brakes, I use to need to go soo slow around a left.
Right turns still great.
If I do a very hard left turn that starts to go downhill, a bit of the braking is felt. but not on flat or and up hill hard left.
Installed a front TF monster TB after that was done, took it for a drive, it was getting late, felt like there was no difference with the nannies, but since it was late I didn't take a tape measure to the axles/body to check for center. I just adjusted the new TF monster to fit right in.
Tomorrow I'll check front axle center , then the steering wheel again.

Quick Reply: ESC / TC / EBS kicking in on left turn or minor launch..