Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ESP help

Old 02-11-2008, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP help

I am sure that this problem has been addressed, but..Jeep supposedly fixed my ESP problem so I went ahead and put my other tires back on..they gave me this Nintendo like code to use to put in and it would turn it off...anybody else tried this..it didn't work for crap...I am getting frustrated with the ESP..
Old 02-11-2008, 06:49 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Your ESP has the ability to learn and assuming everything is on right, it should eventually stop activating as much as it is now. As far as the code goes, if you have an 08, you should be able to do this.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

Default 2007

Mine is a 2007..they said that putting in the code would disable it..that esp is a crock..i understand why but stupid
Old 02-11-2008, 08:11 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hydroracer
Mine is a 2007..they said that putting in the code would disable it..that esp is a crock..i understand why but stupid
Actually, I do believe there is a code fix for 07's now as well to disable the ESP. Or, you can do what SDMF did and install a manual switch to turn it off
Old 02-11-2008, 08:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Your ESP has the ability to learn and assuming everything is on right, it should eventually stop activating as much as it is now. As far as the code goes, if you have an 08, you should be able to do this.
What is the code for the 08 then? and how to put it in?
Old 02-11-2008, 08:56 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Q8
What is the code for the 08 then? and how to put it in?
It's not really a code, but a procedure

Here is what the TSB says about how to disable the esp:

Procedure To Turn ON (or OFF) The Permanent ESP Disable Feature:
a. Verify that the automatic transmission selector is in the “Park” position, and that a manual transmission is in neutral gear.
b. Start the vehicle engine and wait approximately five (5) seconds for the system bulb check to complete.
c. Shift the transfer case into the 4H range position. Firmly set parking brake.
d. Turn the steering wheel until it is centered and the wheels are pointed straight ahead.
e. Turn the steering wheel one-half (˝) turn to the right (clockwise). HOLD steering wheel in this position.
f. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds. Release the “ESP OFF” button right after 7 seconds. Wait for chime.
g. Turn the steering wheel back to center, then turn the steering wheel one-half (˝) turn to the left (counterclockwise). HOLD the steering wheel in this position.
h. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds. Release the “ESP OFF” button right after 7 seconds. Wait for chime.
i. Turn the steering wheel back to center.
j. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds. Release the “ESP OFF” button right after 7 seconds. Wait for chime.
k. Cycle the ignition switch to the “OFF” position.

2. While the Permanent ESP Disable feature is turned on, the vehicle will display the following:
a. The ESP telltale in the instrument cluster will be illuminated.
b. The vehicle odometer will display a “ESP OFF” message.

3. To Turn OFF The Permanent ESP Disable Feature:
a. Repeat the above procedure (in Step 1).
I haven't actually tried this yet myself, but I have read that others have had sucess with this. Also, here are some tips on getting it right:

Originally Posted by davebloomer
ok, turn the jeep off take key out then open door then shut it and all lights will be off... put it in 4HI... then turn it to on... wait on all dings to stop then count to five.... then start the process... turn the wheel 180 right.. jeep logo should be upside down... now it is hard to turn the wheel but here is a very important trick i found out! when you turn the wheel half way DO NOT let it come back an inch or so from the resistance !! you have to be able to hold it as far as you turn it or it will not work... now complete the rest with that in mind...

when disabling the esp... turn the wheel right and hold esp.. you will hear a ding after 5 seconds but that is the normal half way off of the esp so still hold it for two more seconds like it says and the dash should read espoff like when in 4 lo... continue the process and you're golden..

key points
be in 4hi
don't let wheel turn back on its own
hold for 7 seconds
turn wheel 180 right then 360 back to the left then center
Old 02-11-2008, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

I've been dealing with this since I put a 2.5 BB and 33's on mine. It's been to the dealer twice with no fix. The last time they programed the new tire size in as well as flashed the brain with code that is supposed to allow me to disable it. So far the disable procedure has not worked. However I have not tried the extra careful procedures explained in the above quote.

It's nice to hear that the ESP is smart enough to learn new characteristics and adapt to them. Any idea on how long it will take for mine to stop balking at cloverleaf freeway exits?

Mike
Old 02-11-2008, 11:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Big Mickey
I've been dealing with this since I put a 2.5 BB and 33's on mine. It's been to the dealer twice with no fix. The last time they programed the new tire size in as well as flashed the brain with code that is supposed to allow me to disable it. So far the disable procedure has not worked. However I have not tried the extra careful procedures explained in the above quote.

It's nice to hear that the ESP is smart enough to learn new characteristics and adapt to them. Any idea on how long it will take for mine to stop balking at cloverleaf freeway exits?

Mike
The stealership can't reprogram for the 33' tires the maximum is 32'

you need and after market programmer to do that ....

Did you re-center the steering wheel like in WOL write - up ???
Old 02-11-2008, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Default Mine...

are 285's 33's? if so, do I need to just go and get some smaller tires?
Old 02-11-2008, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

I just unplugged the module under the rear of the console, I have some nice orange lights on the dash but at least I can drive the Jeep by myself.

Quick Reply: ESP help