Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

esp intermittent issues

Old 12-09-2019, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default esp intermittent issues

2011 jku rubicon, 2.5 inch lift with 35 inch 13 iinch wide tires ( I don't like that wide of a tire but they are brand new and where on when I bought it for my wife) automatic. when im driving at normal speeds 35 40 mph on the street in 2 wd if the road has a somewhat sharp turn in it the esp kicks in and trys to slow me down. not sure what could be causing this. its a little dangerous because it slows you down quick and if someone is behind you not paying attention it could end badly. any ideas would be great. I checked and there are no codes
Old 12-09-2019, 02:22 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Crap load of ABS issues going around like the flu it seems! There are codes, but you need a scanner that can dig in to the ABS module. Jscan, BlueDriver, or a bevy of others, typically app related scanners w/ BT dongle. You likely just have a sensor that is acting up. The ABS code will identify which one is the specific issue.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

since the light doesnt stay on will it still show on a scanner
Old 12-10-2019, 09:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

If that light so much as flashes while you're driving it will store a code, but again...it's in the ABS module and not an OBDII code. The stored code should indicate which specific sensor triggered the light. This is a snapshot from Jscan -

The following users liked this post:
Mr.T (12-10-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 05:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jkjay11
2011 jku rubicon, 2.5 inch lift with 35 inch 13 iinch wide tires ( I don't like that wide of a tire but they are brand new and where on when I bought it for my wife) automatic. when im driving at normal speeds 35 40 mph on the street in 2 wd if the road has a somewhat sharp turn in it the esp kicks in and trys to slow me down. not sure what could be causing this. its a little dangerous because it slows you down quick and if someone is behind you not paying attention it could end badly. any ideas would be great. I checked and there are no codes
Odds are good one or more of the axles aren't properly centered under the frame, and / or, your steering wheel isn't properly centered. What brand lift is it?

FWIW, If the 2.5" lift doesn't have a raised track bar bracket for the rear axle that's generally your first step in the fix. You can try an adjustable rear track bar, but it won't correct the roll center and you'll likely have the same issue even if you center the axle with it. Most of the 2.5" lifts I've seen or worked on don't center the front axle properly either. 2.5" lifts are built to a price point and the manufacturers tend to leave out components.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

It is a skyJacker lift. it has the trackbar brackets.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:26 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

You get a scanner yet to read the codes?
Old 12-19-2019, 05:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jkjay11
It is a skyJacker lift. it has the trackbar brackets.
Measure the centering of each axle. Measure from identical spots from the side of the frame to the tire sidewall on each side. Should be within 1/4". Don't measure tire lettering, etc. If it's off more than that side to side you need adjustable track bars. If the axles are well centered then the steering wheel is not centered properly. The ESP system assumes the steering wheel is dead centered. If it's off even a small amount to driver or passenger that will cause the system to engage. Easy to determine the variability and correct.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

i did and only have this code stored

Jeep P0853 Drive Switch Input Circuit

nothing under abs
problem is i cant find what sensor this is. (what its called) i searched drive switch but that doesnt bring up anything about the trans. only switches for lights
Old 12-30-2019, 11:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I'm thinking that might be unrelated. What did you use to scan the system? Did you use something that can actually read the different module codes or just a general scanner? The "P" codes are just basic OBDII codes.

Quick Reply: esp intermittent issues