Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ESP and Larger Tires

Old 06-18-2007, 12:18 PM
gcg
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP and Larger Tires

I am looking at adding an RE 3.5" lift and 35" tires to my 2 door Rubicon. In a conversation with RE, they mentioned that I would have to turn off ESP every time I drive on the street because ESP isn't calibrated for the larger tires and lift and that the handling on the street would be "terrible".

Do those of you with lifts and 35" tires have this problem? Is it possible to reflash the ECU to correct this? I understand that the largest tire Jeep can reflash to is 32 (I think). However, with 4.88 gears (think this is what I'd use) and 35 inch tires, the driveshaft speed at a given mph is about the same as the stock 4.1 gears and 30" tires. Anyone know if it would work to reflash to 30" tires in this case or does the computer sense the actual wheel speed?

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by gcg
I am looking at adding an RE 3.5" lift and 35" tires to my 2 door Rubicon. In a conversation with RE, they mentioned that I would have to turn off ESP every time I drive on the street because ESP isn't calibrated for the larger tires and lift and that the handling on the street would be "terrible".

Do those of you with lifts and 35" tires have this problem? Is it possible to reflash the ECU to correct this? I understand that the largest tire Jeep can reflash to is 32 (I think). However, with 4.88 gears (think this is what I'd use) and 35 inch tires, the driveshaft speed at a given mph is about the same as the stock 4.1 gears and 30" tires. Anyone know if it would work to reflash to 30" tires in this case or does the computer sense the actual wheel speed?

Thanks.
You don't have to turn off ESP everytime you drive.. I only turn off mine in the sand..
Old 06-18-2007, 01:18 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 1BADJK
You don't have to turn off ESP everytime you drive.. I only turn off mine in the sand..
What he said.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a problem with mine but the dralership fixed for $$100
Old 06-18-2007, 04:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not really a problem with mine. It hasn't gone off for over a month. You will learn to drive so that it doesn't activate when going around fast curves, and I have never turned it off.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Renegade
It's not really a problem with mine. It hasn't gone off for over a month. You will learn to drive so that it doesn't activate when going around fast curves, and I have never turned it off.

Same here. Was going off a lot right after I put the 33's on but the dealership flashed the computer (they said they could go up to a 32) when the lift went on and it seemed not to go off as much. I spend a lot of time driving on curving mountain roads and I think the biggest reason it doesnt go off much anymore is adjusting my driving speed on the curves.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

no computer flash, no ESP problems, drove it like an idiot today to see if I could kick it on.
Nothing.

Mine is on 35's
Old 06-18-2007, 06:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by usmcdoc14
no computer flash, no ESP problems, drove it like an idiot today to see if I could kick it on.
Nothing.

Mine is on 35's
Mine hadn't been off in so long I was starting to think it might be broke so I did the same thing (drove like an idiot) when I was in the mountains today. Nope...still works
Old 06-18-2007, 06:25 PM
gcg
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the replies so far.

What actually happens when it "goes off" - feel it through the brake, hear a noise, power is cut, vehicle path changs, etc.?

In what way do you have to modify your driving style to prevent it from happening?

Thanks again!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Brakes are applied a small amount and engine rpm is reduced.

Quick Reply: ESP and Larger Tires