Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

EVO draglink flip

Old 10-21-2012, 06:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO draglink flip

So I installed this evo draglink flip kit around 4000 miles ago (back in april maybe?) so it's pretty much brand new. I find myself still fighting DW and just overall a crappy feel in the steering wheel. A steering stabilizer helps mask it, but I can still feel something off in the wheel when going over bumps over 40 mph. I followed the DW checklist, and it looks like my draglink is shot, but I also noticed the bracket itself looked like it was in really rough shape

Does it look like the bracket might be flexing too? Theres no reason for all the powdercoating to already be flaking off, especially with everything being torqued to spec (constantly too, I've had to tighten and retighten at least 5 times)

Thoughts? Trying to decide if I should just warranty to draglink (I'd assume EVO would warranty it since its brand new) or if I should just scrap the whole setup and try something a different setup (new bracket, HD draglink, ect ect)
Old 10-21-2012, 07:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you driving that thing on the beach? I can't believe it would rust that quick!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

He lives in Boston, which equates to lots of moisture (precipitation) and lots of salt (winter de-icer).
Practically the excact opposite of California, or Colorado for that matter.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:08 AM
JK Super Freak

yup its boston, but at the same time, I installed it this spring; it has yet to see winter (and last winter we didnt get any snow, so not much salt on the roads)

its seen maybe a a half dozen offroad trips or so though, so obviously its seen the elements

Last edited by sneck; 10-22-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thats some weak powder coat. Hopefully they replace and help fix the DW issues...
Old 10-22-2012, 04:51 AM
JK Freak

Have you checked your ball joints? The drag link bracket doesn't look bad to me, but it may be hard to tell in the pic.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by burbingus
Have you checked your ball joints? The drag link bracket doesn't look bad to me, but it may be hard to tell in the pic.
I'm making some assumptions with the bracket, being as how a) I had prosteers installed at the same time and b) the way the powdercoating has faded. its stripped away at the bolt, making me think that the bolt has room to move around, and its also stripped away on the upper edges, making me think the metal is flexing

another shot, in case it helps

you can see the bracket around the bottom bolt is in rough shape. and yes, its tightened down to 140 ft/lbs

Last edited by sneck; 10-22-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:01 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

I have the same drag link in our jk,but i added some tack welds to the bracket.Check your ball joints,still factory?mud,salt,water their most likely done.Tires,i found just changing tire type help solve our DW
Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sneck
I'm making some assumptions with the bracket, being as how a) I had prosteers installed at the same time and b) the way the powdercoating has faded. its stripped away at the bolt, making me think that the bolt has room to move around, and its also stripped away on the upper edges, making me think the metal is flexing

another shot, in case it helps

you can see the bracket around the bottom bolt is in rough shape. and yes, its tightened down to 140 ft/lbs
its hard to believe this jeep has never been in a salt storm looking at the bracket, the steal is already pitted. I grew up on the eastcoast and now how nasty the roads can get. That being said, Once you break the powder coat from tightening the bolts down its only a matter of time before the parts start looking like this.

Now to figure out your issue at hand.

Have you checked the tracbar bushings lately? What are they torqued to?

Why do you think its the drag link? If it only has 4,000 miles on the jeep since the install its highly unlikely its already shot. What type and size of tires are you running? When is the last time you had them balanced?

Did you visual inspect the steering components when someone turned the steering wheel back and forth? Did anything move at this time?

As always please feel free to call us at EVO MFG, We will help you figure this out

-Chris

Last edited by EVO MFG; 10-22-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 AM
MTG
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember when you installed this and you having an issue with the sway bar links.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...k-flip-230891/

Looks like the whole underside of the jeep has a lot more rust than it did in May.

Reminds me to go under the jeep before the weather turns nasty and hit the parts that are chipped with some paint!

Quick Reply: EVO draglink flip