Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

EVO Suspension On Road Handling

Old 12-08-2010, 04:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO Suspension On Road Handling

I am a new Jeep owner and new to Project-JK. I've been lurking around here for a while trying to learn as much as I can. This site is chocked full of good information.

I am trying to decide on a suspension lift for my daily driver. From reading the posts here, I am leaning heavily toward Off Road Evolution's front coil over and rear lever system. I have only a few reservations about going with the EVO system. The largest of which is, what will be the on road characteristics of this mod? Most everyone says the on-road drivability of the EVO is "the best" of any suspension lifted Jeep they've driven. Because this is my first Jeep, my frame of reference for on road handling is cars and pickups. Can you guys give me an idea how a Jeep with 35" tires and the EVO front coilovers and rear lever system handles on the road compared to a car or standard pickup? If I go this route, can I expect handling to be better, as good as, or worse than a standard pickup runing stock wheels and tires?
(By the way, I will also be installing adjustable lower control arms, adjustable track bars, new front drive shaft, extended brake lines, and flip kit for drag links)

Thanks for the help.

(My other short listed system is the AEV premium. Mainly due to the advertised on-road characteristics)

mvbeggs

2011' Rublcon Unlimited- Mango Tango- (stock for only a little while longer)
Old 12-09-2010, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Default Interested As Well

I have subscribed to this thread. I can't believe there are no responses. Bump to the top for one more try.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:52 AM
JK Freak

There is a lengthy discussion of the AEV here:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...orth-the-money

And lengthy discussion of the EVO systems here:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ont-Coil-Overs

and here:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...Rear-EVO-Lever
Old 12-09-2010, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are you going to do the work yourself or have it done?

The full EVO setup is a huge undertaking and real involved. I did one last winter with their King Bypass setup front and rear on my '07 JK unlimited. I would go with the 12" shocks with your setup. Mine has the 14".

On road driving is pretty much like a stock Jeep with mine. Maybe a little softer ride than stock. It's hard to say because my Jeep hasn't been stock in a long time.

My Fierce' has a 2011 Unlimited with a Tera Flex 6" Long arm kit on it, 37x13.25 17's and it rides and drives like a stock Jeep. It also has a Dana 60 rear and a Dynatrac Pro rock 44 front. Hers was done by a professional shop.

Hope this help a little.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AZ_JK
Are you going to do the work yourself or have it done?

The full EVO setup is a huge undertaking and real involved. I did one last winter with their King Bypass setup front and rear on my '07 JK unlimited. I would go with the 12" shocks with your setup. Mine has the 14"....
I was thinking about doing the work myself. Did you have any suspension lift experience prior to installing the EVO? There aren't any shops in my area with any experience installing the EVO. I figured, I have the same level of EVO experience as anyone, in my area, and I'll probably be more particular about the install on my jeep. Does the install take any specialized tools? Are the installation instructions pretty clear on measurements and where brackets need to be placed? What was the hardest part of the install for you?

I was thinking 12" shocks as well.

Thanks for the info on the road handling.

Last edited by mvbeggs; 12-09-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

My family owned a Dealership when I grew up and I worked in the Service Dept. for several years. That was my only experience. So am very mechanically inclined but other than that I had no experience installing a lift like this one.

The lift was fairly straight forward to install. I did have them email me instructions with color pictures that helped out a lot. It was just a lot of work to cut off every bracket from the stock suspension and grind everything down then weld it all up.

The only special tools I can think of that you need are an air compressor, air tools, welder, grinder, cut off tool, and PLASMA cutter.

Do yourself a huge favor and get a plasma cutter if you don't have one. I can't tell you how many hours it saved me after I bought the plasma cutter. I was going through a ton of cut off wheels and burning up man many hours trying to get the old brackets off before I bought one. That was the worst part of the whole project for me.

Although I did the EVO long arm kit as well at the same time so I ended up with the whole EVO treatment. I just figured everything would work better because it was designed to work together rather than mixing kits from diff manufacturers.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AZ_JK
My family owned a Dealership when I grew up and I worked in the Service Dept. for several years. That was my only experience. So am very mechanically inclined but other than that I had no experience installing a lift like this one.

The lift was fairly straight forward to install. I did have them email me instructions with color pictures that helped out a lot. It was just a lot of work to cut off every bracket from the stock suspension and grind everything down then weld it all up.

The only special tools I can think of that you need are an air compressor, air tools, welder, grinder, cut off tool, and PLASMA cutter.

Do yourself a huge favor and get a plasma cutter if you don't have one. I can't tell you how many hours it saved me after I bought the plasma cutter. I was going through a ton of cut off wheels and burning up man many hours trying to get the old brackets off before I bought one. That was the worst part of the whole project for me.

Although I did the EVO long arm kit as well at the same time so I ended up with the whole EVO treatment. I just figured everything would work better because it was designed to work together rather than mixing kits from diff manufacturers.
Thanks for the input. You're the first person that I know of that has done an EVO install himself. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the install isn't super technical or one that requires super tight install tolerances on measuring and location of components. Sounds more like a lot of grinding, smoothing, and welding back on. I think I can handle that. Welding may be the most challenging part. I'm real good at cutting and tearing up, not so much on the putting back together.

Sound like I have the required tools. I've got a plasma cutter, MIG welder, and grinder. I'll try to review a copy of the install instructions before making the purchase.

Do you agree that when everything is torn apart for the EVO install may be the best time to replace the axles with some ProRock 44's or 60's?

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

You have the picture. The front with the double shocks gets to be a bit tight when it comes to the shock tower placement and the reservoir mounting. Other than that I don't recall having any real problems with the alignment or instructions.

That is most definitely the time to put in diff axles. You will have them out anyways and will have to weld brackets on the axle also. If you wait you will need to reorder new axle brackets and start over with cutting off the brackets on the new axle and welding on the new EVO brackets on and what not. Just a fair amount of duplicate work if you are planning on changing out the axles anyways and can afford to do it at the same time. That is what I did.

Any more questions just feel free to ask. I'll do my best to help you out.

Quick Reply: EVO Suspension On Road Handling