JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Excessive Tunnel Heat (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/excessive-tunnel-heat-336883/)

Ajkaz 09-12-2016 03:48 PM

Excessive Tunnel Heat

Ever since I can remember my JKs tunnel gets incredibly hot inside the cab. Hot enough that it heats up the entire cab if I have the windows up in any weather over 40*. Also something blows hot air on my feet all the time, no matter what unless I have the AC on. If I have the AC off but the blower on cold it still blows very hot air even if the ambient temperate is in the 50s... I have a 3.8, manual trans with carpet.

karls10jk 09-12-2016 04:37 PM

Following this as well- mine gets warm though maybe not quite that much. Go for a drive, let me know the conditions, and I'll replicate with temp reports.

fultonromero12 09-12-2016 04:41 PM

I have the same issue. It did get better when I added a tranny cooler and replaced the carpet with bedtred. I still have to turn on the AC on most days just to keep the cab comfortable

karls10jk 09-12-2016 04:47 PM

Trans coolers aren't an option for the manual. The thicker/ better insulated carpet may be a good idea.

BlueBaby 09-13-2016 03:55 PM

Drain plug holes will allow hot air to come thru them. I always keep them installed for that reason.

Billbikes 09-13-2016 04:40 PM

I'm not 100% sure on the 3.8, but on the 3.6, the cats are on each side right by your feet in the tunnel. The floor will definitely get warm.
For the hot air coming through the floor vent, that may be a Chrysler problem, I've had two different Dodge Dakotas over the years and they both did this.

Ajkaz 09-13-2016 09:23 PM

Thanks for all the replys, glad I'm not the only one with this issue. My inner shift boot is torn to shreds and I can feel a ton of heat coming into the console from there. I will replace it and report back. Regardless of what the actual problem is, I think that lightly pressurizing the cab will help at least keep hot air from coming in near my feet. I was thinking about putting a fan with a make shift air filter in the tailgate vent that would blow inwards. This would help keep air from coming in from other areas when the Jeep is sealed.

Ajkaz 09-28-2016 02:18 PM

UPDATE - The inner boot was torn up really bad allowing tons of heat and noise into the cab. In the diagram I used to find the inner shift boot part # I noticed seal called the "Gearshift Lever Seal" I do not think I have this. It seems to be large round plug that the shifter runs through. Can anyone confirm they see this below the inner shift boot? Is it hard plastic or a softer material? I think after some Dealership trans work years ago I'm missing some things....

Ajkaz 09-28-2016 02:21 PM

Link to the diagram, look at part number 7.

LEVER. Gearshift, MANUAL TRANSMISSION SHIFT for Jeep Wrangler (2007 - 2015). #52060063AD

mrzw70 09-30-2016 07:13 AM

I can't say for sure but just looking at the diagram I would think that part would be hard plastic. I don't have a manual trans. though.