Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive Tunnel Heat

Old 09-12-2016, 03:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Excessive Tunnel Heat

Ever since I can remember my JKs tunnel gets incredibly hot inside the cab. Hot enough that it heats up the entire cab if I have the windows up in any weather over 40*. Also something blows hot air on my feet all the time, no matter what unless I have the AC on. If I have the AC off but the blower on cold it still blows very hot air even if the ambient temperate is in the 50s... I have a 3.8, manual trans with carpet.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Following this as well- mine gets warm though maybe not quite that much. Go for a drive, let me know the conditions, and I'll replicate with temp reports.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue. It did get better when I added a tranny cooler and replaced the carpet with bedtred. I still have to turn on the AC on most days just to keep the cab comfortable
Old 09-12-2016, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Trans coolers aren't an option for the manual. The thicker/ better insulated carpet may be a good idea.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Drain plug holes will allow hot air to come thru them. I always keep them installed for that reason.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not 100% sure on the 3.8, but on the 3.6, the cats are on each side right by your feet in the tunnel. The floor will definitely get warm.
For the hot air coming through the floor vent, that may be a Chrysler problem, I've had two different Dodge Dakotas over the years and they both did this.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:23 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for all the replys, glad I'm not the only one with this issue. My inner shift boot is torn to shreds and I can feel a ton of heat coming into the console from there. I will replace it and report back. Regardless of what the actual problem is, I think that lightly pressurizing the cab will help at least keep hot air from coming in near my feet. I was thinking about putting a fan with a make shift air filter in the tailgate vent that would blow inwards. This would help keep air from coming in from other areas when the Jeep is sealed.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:18 PM
JK Freak

UPDATE - The inner boot was torn up really bad allowing tons of heat and noise into the cab. In the diagram I used to find the inner shift boot part # I noticed seal called the "Gearshift Lever Seal" I do not think I have this. It seems to be large round plug that the shifter runs through. Can anyone confirm they see this below the inner shift boot? Is it hard plastic or a softer material? I think after some Dealership trans work years ago I'm missing some things....
Old 09-28-2016, 02:21 PM
JK Freak

Link to the diagram, look at part number 7.

LEVER. Gearshift, MANUAL TRANSMISSION SHIFT for Jeep Wrangler (2007 - 2015). #52060063AD
Old 09-30-2016, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't say for sure but just looking at the diagram I would think that part would be hard plastic. I don't have a manual trans. though.

Quick Reply: Excessive Tunnel Heat