Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust??

Old 12-07-2006, 03:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust??

I was wondering, whats the reason behind getting a new exhaust system/muffler.:confused:

I see that a new exhaust seems to be a big item, and I was just curious.

Also, is Flowmaster, since I've heard they have quality products, coming out with an exhaust for the JK?
Old 12-07-2006, 04:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well first off a performance exhaust adds horsepower/torque to your vehicle. Depending on the set up you you use you usually add around 15 to each.
Second and its a personal preferance, but I really the like a deep loud exhaust when compaired to the whisper quiet stock exhaust. New exhaust allows the engine to breathe better and also should give you slightly better gas mileage. Flowmaster has plenty of mufflers that will hook right up to the jk. If you're looking for something like that go talk to your local exhaust shop and see what they can do for you. Flowmasters make a v-6 sound high pitched and ratty though just a warning. They're great mufflers but sound the best on a V-8.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the info
Old 12-07-2006, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

what people were talking about when they were asking if certain companys were coming out with anything for the jk is a cat-back system. Which means it includes the piping from the catalytic converters and back already pre-bent for the jk. However if you go to a local shop that deals with performance exhaust you can pick out any muffler that you want (I sudjest magnaflow personally) and they'll do all the bending of the pipe and make you a custom cat-back system. If thats what you're looking for it would be almost impossible to spend over $500 on a good custom made cat-back system. Its a cheap and quick way to add horseys and more torque.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by AZCA jeeper
I was wondering, whats the reason behind getting a new exhaust system/muffler.:confused:

I see that a new exhaust seems to be a big item, and I was just curious.

Also, is Flowmaster, since I've heard they have quality products, coming out with an exhaust for the JK?
its in a very bad location... its going to get owned by a rock on the first trail ride.. thats the main reason i think everyone wants to move the muffler.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ericdewayne
what people were talking about when they were asking if certain companys were coming out with anything for the jk is a cat-back system. Which means it includes the piping from the catalytic converters and back already pre-bent for the jk. However if you go to a local shop that deals with performance exhaust you can pick out any muffler that you want (I sudjest magnaflow personally) and they'll do all the bending of the pipe and make you a custom cat-back system. If thats what you're looking for it would be almost impossible to spend over $500 on a good custom made cat-back system. Its a cheap and quick way to add horseys and more torque.
That's a good tip to know. THanks SOOO much!!:p
Old 12-07-2006, 07:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
its in a very bad location... its going to get owned by a rock on the first trail ride.. thats the main reason i think everyone wants to move the muffler.
I had heard that before. The muffler is to low and can be crushed very easily.

Would it be easier to custom make a skid for the muffler, or is that even more involved?
Old 12-07-2006, 07:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by AZCA jeeper
I had heard that before. The muffler is to low and can be crushed very easily.

Would it be easier to custom make a skid for the muffler, or is that even more involved?
I'm sure companys are making a skid for it, but it'll take alot of abuse

the TJ's gas tank is in the same location... let me tell you my gas gauge has not worked properly for a long time...
Old 12-07-2006, 07:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Piginajeep

The TJ's gas tank is in the same location... let me tell you my gas gauge has not worked properly for a long time...
HE HE HE, I'll bet.

Quick Reply: Exhaust??