Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Exhaust or not to Exhaust

Old 05-02-2010, 07:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To Exhaust or not to Exhaust

Hello Fellow Jeepers,

I was considering getting some new after market muffler and maybe (big maybe) headers. I don't know any one that has after a market muffler nor have I heard a JK with a after market muffle. So needless to say I have some questions and concerns.

First: Does it give a noticeable amount of performance?

Second: Is it worth the $ ?

Third: Does it sound good, I know its not going to sound like a hemi. But I don't want it to sound like a Fast And Furious Weed Eater.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepoholic
Hello Fellow Jeepers,

I was considering getting some new after market muffler and maybe (big maybe) headers. I don't know any one that has after a market muffler nor have I heard a JK with a after market muffle. So needless to say I have some questions and concerns.

Third: Does it sound good, I know its not going to sound like a hemi. But I don't want it to sound like a Fast And Furious Weed Eater.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...d+clip+library
Old 05-02-2010, 07:48 AM
JK Junkie

Tone and sound quality is going to depend on individual tastes. In my opinion, chambered mufflers make a better tone but also don't perform as well as straight tube designs. The tone is moderately better, but it isn't going to full anyone into believing there is a V8 under the hood.

As for performance, best to match up your exhaust with a drop in filter or CAI on the intake side, then a programmer to go along with it. Be prepared to need to increase your octane rating as the right system will get more air in and better cylinder evacuation which may cause you to run slightly lean. Stay away from dual exit exhaust systems or anything larger than 2.5" pipes.

As for headers, you will assuredly run lean and need to be prepared for it. To prevent burning plug wires have your headers coated by a third party with a heat barrier coating. Do not believe that any of the manufacturers out of the box coatings will perform as well.

Lastly, you can do the exhaust and intake side of things fairly inexpensively. Buy a muffler relocation kit or by a can separate and have your local muffler shop bend a tail pipe. On the intake side just buy a higher flowing filter such as K&N or AFE and use the money you save from not buying an exhaust kit and a CAI to buy a programmer.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

what do you think of aFe Magnum FORCE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake System with Pro-GUARD 7 Filter and the aFe Magnum FORCE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake System - they are a couple hundred bucks at least
Old 05-02-2010, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can you buy a straight pipe? Pros and cons? a straight pipe is installed after the cat?
Old 05-02-2010, 08:23 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Lotus03
what do you think of aFe Magnum FORCE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake System with Pro-GUARD 7 Filter and the aFe Magnum FORCE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake System - they are a couple hundred bucks at least
I'd save my money.

I have a CAI, and one that performs decently in the Airaid product. Poly tubed so it doesn't introduce additional engine bay heat into the engine. No problems with it at all, but there are times to be cautious I run the stock air box. Having installed and uninstalled it several times (as in more than a dozen) it doesn't bother me that it's gone. That's also with comparing it to a paper filter in the stock air box.

While I have noted some nominal efficiency gains, nothing seat of the pants outside of hearing airflow a little more. If the butt meter doesn't pick it up, then who am I trying to fool as it's still going to get the doors blown off of it by a Camry.

At the same time, if you took my SC Flashpaq away I would know it right away and I'd be a little grief stricken until I reinstalled a tune.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:26 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2
Where can you buy a straight pipe? Pros and cons? a straight pipe is installed after the cat?
Any muffler shop or auto parts store will have a section of straight pipe, and then you can buy the over the bumper tailpipe section online, or have a muffler shop bend you one.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would recommend a "do it your self" relocation kit. I found one from Off Road Evo that was a magnaflow muffler ,straight through design, and installed it myself. It sounds great, better then all the $400+ ones, and gets the huge muffler out of the way. I beat my jeep pretty good and have never touched it, and if I do I can bolt a new one in place. Pretty much with any car/truck made in the last 10 years you are not going to get much performance with just a exhaust change. Keep it cheap on exhaust and intake, then get the superchips!

Old 05-03-2010, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a local shop put a Flowmaster 40 series in the stock location. They cut the pipe just at the top of the bend over the axle at my request to replace the clearance dimple and tucked it up pretty tight so you can't really see the muffler or turndown from the back. It was $150 out the door. I have a hard top and it's almost too quiet unless I have the rear window open or the top off. I think I got a little HP out of it but it's probably just becuase it sounds better. I did see ~1 MPG increase after I stopped putting my foot in it to hear it at the red lights. Like others have said, my Flashpaq was no doubt better money spent.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepoholic
Hello Fellow Jeepers,

Check out www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk-_exhuast

they offer a JK exhaust relocation kit for 299. they have a demo video to show how little the noise increase is.

Quick Reply: To Exhaust or not to Exhaust