Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Exhaust Question

Old 03-11-2010, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Exhaust Question

New JK owner here--'09 2 door Rubi stock. Still working on my list of mods, but the first thing I know I want to change is the exhaust. I decided on the Magnaflow.

Went to a local muffler shop to get an estimate and the guy told me to I should just get the Magnaflow muffler ($175 installed) versus the full cat-back set up ($550 installed). Said I'd get the same sound and performance.

Kind of weird being told to spend less money, but it leaves more for the other things I want.

Does this sound right? Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

just installed a kit from aboveumall.com. Sounds great, easy installhttp://www.aboveumall.com/
Old 03-11-2010, 07:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by houston
New JK owner here--'09 2 door Rubi stock. Still working on my list of mods, but the first thing I know I want to change is the exhaust. I decided on the Magnaflow.

Went to a local muffler shop to get an estimate and the guy told me to I should just get the Magnaflow muffler ($175 installed) versus the full cat-back set up ($550 installed). Said I'd get the same sound and performance.

Kind of weird being told to spend less money, but it leaves more for the other things I want.

Does this sound right? Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum... Have you been lurking or is this your first visit? The biggest difference in a muffler/exhaust is back pressure and resistance. The baffles or lack there of in a muffler is what makes it more free flowing. Do a quick search (in the upper right hand corner) for cat back exhausts or mufflers and you will find a LOT of opinions and things others have done on their rigs for the best results. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

In my opinion, an exhaust upgrade makes the most sense when the original system rots out. I feel like it's best to get the most out of the system I already paid for. And then, I always go 304 stainless. It will last forever.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Question