Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expected labor charge for 2.5" AEV lift - 2013 2-door Rubi

Old 11-12-2012, 07:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most shops prices on chilton hours not on how long it actually takes. It could be shorter it could be longer like with a striped or broken bolt.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delux2769
You could always host an Install Party. Buy a case of beer and see how manyJeepers are able to show out and give a helping hand.
THIS!!
I did my 3.5" AEV SC lift with my buddy, it was not hard at all. You just need to make sure you pay attention to what you are doing. It's way more rewarding to do the work yourself too.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bfschor
What would you guys say I should expect in labor costs to install a 2.5" AEV lift? I was just quoted $1,860.00 out the door, which includes the lift, geometry correction brackets and exhaust mod. Thought I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone talk about an exhaust mod for the 2.5" kit.

The kit alone from AEV is $899.00. The geometry correction brackets are $99.00. And I haven't a clue what the exhaust mod is, but can't see it being more than $60 bucks.

So all that together, puts me at about $800 for labor. AEV says 6-9 hours for install. So figuring a good shop could do it in the minimum time of 6 hours, that'd be about $133 per labor hour. That's more than what a Harley shop pays their techs!! Then again, if 9 hours is more realistic, the labor hours make more sense.

So does somewhere around $800 for labor sound about right?
Well I got my quote from 4wheel parts, northern tire, and noble auto sports and they all said $250 labor if I bought the lift from them and all their prices for the lifts were the same as online through the various companies.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:28 AM
JK Newbie

I am not what you would call mechanically inclined. I didnt learn how to change my oil until I was in college. But last year I put on a RC 2.5in lift by myself in 8 hours (shock, springs, rear trac-bar relocation bracket, front and rear sway bars links). I was using an assymetric lift. However half of that time was spent in line waiting for tools. See, I was at an on-post DIY mechanic shop, and I could only check-out so many tools at a time, I think 7 was the max (every little tool counts, socket, socket extension,wrench. it adds up especially when you count all the different size bolt they use on the JK). If I would have access to the same tools all at once and equipment as a shop that does it on a daily basis, I could do it in 6 hours no problem, and it shouldnt be a problem for them either. If they say they can't do it in 6 hours I would be weary of using that shop.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:53 AM
JK Freak

take the help offered here by other members and do an install party. i put this kit on my 2door myself in a day with the ca brackets. did my own alignment which is only recentering the steering wheel. you dont need an exhaust spacer. i've flexed mine out disco'd and have no issues with exhaust/driveshaft clearance. the bilsteins are spec'd for this.

quick plug..lol my kit will be for sale in about 2 weeks....that'll save you some money too.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

there shouldn't be an exhaust mod, AEV's website even says you dont need to modify the exhaust with that kit.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:48 AM
MTG
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it yourself. Buy meat/beer. Save money. Meet new friends. Learn something new.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

No need for exhaust mod. I have the same set up on my 2012 and have flexed it heavily with no issue.

As far as installing, it really isn't difficult if you have the tools. If you were in Houston I'd say come over and we could knock it out one day.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Delux2769
You could always host an Install Party. Buy a case of beer and see how manyJeepers are able to show out and give a helping hand. I'm 30 mins East of Dallas off I-30. I can bring 2 jack stands and a good floor jack. Along with the tools I've used to drip my axles 6 times in the past year.
I totally agree, put out an SOS on the forum and you will get the help. Lifts are not that difficult to install and can be easily done in the drive way. Ive done 4 lifts already and all were done in the drive way. Help is the best thing this forum does, save your money and throw a MOD party, best way to know the Jeep owners in your area and awesome way to make new friends.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the exact same kit you are doing with the addition of disconnects and the new bolts/nuts put on for $250-$300. Don't remember the exact cost.

Quick Reply: Expected labor charge for 2.5" AEV lift - 2013 2-door Rubi