Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OR fab tire carrier rusting!!

Old 06-23-2011, 07:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Just installed this carrier last week and I'm getting signs of surface rust already. And it's on the completely powdercoated pieces! The hinge mounting bracket has some on it, the swing arm has some, and the landing block is starting to get it. What gives?!

Oh and another thing is the latch no longer matches up with the landing block. I had it almost perfect, then one day I open it up and it droops down below the landing block. Now it's a PITA to get it latched correctly.

I love this carrier, but I'm a little disappointed in the rust appearing so quickly, and the latch issues. I also think the instructions could have been A LOT better than what they were.

Last edited by JK.nick; 06-23-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I installed mine yesterday, I will keep an eye on surface rust.. Looks completely podercoated
Old 06-23-2011, 08:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Eagle78
I installed mine yesterday, I will keep an eye on surface rust.. Looks completely podercoated
Let me know how it goes. Hopefully everything is smooth for you!
Old 06-23-2011, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

Mine is a bit older and I have signs as well. Nothing a little touch-up paint can't take care of. As for matching up, mine works fine-with or without my jerry cans full.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK.nick
I Just installed this carrier last week and I'm getting signs of surface rust already. And it's on the completely powdercoated pieces! The hinge mounting bracket has some on it, the swing arm has some, and the landing block is starting to get it. What gives?!

Oh and another thing is the latch no longer matches up with the landing block. I had it almost perfect, then one day I open it up and it droops down below the landing block. Now it's a PITA to get it latched correctly.

I love this carrier, but I'm a little disappointed in the rust appearing so quickly, and the latch issues. I also think the instructions could have been A LOT better than what they were.

Did you contact them about it? How about looking on youtube for the instructions? I'm about to install this myself and was told to look on you tube for the video instructions.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:38 AM
JK Super Freak

I knew rust would appear eventually, just not after a few days of having it installed

And the instructions on YouTube are very bland, more of a quick run down of the install. Nothing too helpful actually.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:53 AM
JK Super Freak

I've had mine on for several weeks. There is alittle surface rust on the bolt holes on the back of the carrier where there was no powder coat. I used a Q-tip with some rustoleum, fixed it right up. As for the contact block..you have metal on metal, the powder coat will wear and you will get some exposed metal. I had some slight on the hinge but a little light oil will helped that.

I lined mine up perfectly, sounds like you might not of had your hinges bolts tight enough, mine sags slightly with the tire on it when it is open, but it is slight. I can bring it to the landing block, latch the cam bolt and it pulls right into place.

I'd call them with any questions, their customer service is awesome and I'm sure they will offer any help or answers they can
Old 06-23-2011, 09:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pictures would be good so we can see what you mean on the rust. I've had mine for 6 months and have zero issues. It's been through tons of rain as well.

About the landing block, you need to reset your preload, it sounds like you didn't tighten everything down enough and now it's sagging because the weight of your tire. Can't really blame them for not doing it 100% right. You REALLY need to crank them down. I've got a 100lb tire and have no problems. Even run dual jerry cans and my preload never changes.

Either way, contact Yates through the forum here or give them a call. Customer service is tops!

Last edited by Sharkey; 06-23-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Competing forum reference
Old 06-23-2011, 01:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Pictures will be up soon. I've been a little busy lately. Moving into a new house, and blah blah blah.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Mine had some early surface rust as well. 2 years later it hasn't gotten worse. I stopped worrying about it.

Quick Reply: OR fab tire carrier rusting!!