Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

factory locker won't disengage.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default factory locker won't disengage.

I went to Uwharrie today to play on the rocks. I took some pretty good shots underneath the Jeep but didn't appear to break anything or pinch any wires. When I got off the trail and went to unlock the axles the rear went fine but the front locker would not disengage. It steady blinks. Even in 2wd the front is locked.

I had a couple guys look at it with me and no one had any ideas without ripping the diff cover off, which I will do tomorrow. A jeep mechanic said it could be a solenoid. We tried everything, lifting the front of the ground and trying to unbind it. Even as far as wrapping jumper cables around the diff with a charge to magnetically free the solenoid (a tank mechanic there told us that is what he used to do when they froze up)

Any ideas y'all can think of before I tow it to the Jeep dealer tomorrow? I don't know if they will cover it under warranty with my lift, etc. and I am hoping it is a quick fix.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just searched and found some info

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...locker+problem

I guess I should have searched first, I am just frustrated right now.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might help or not... I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago, except instead of my lockers not unlocking, my front sway bar light kept a steady flash for almost two weeks before i could get it into the dealership. Before leaving the trail we checked the front sway bar and jumped on the jeep rocking back and forth, confirming that the sway bar was indeed connected. Dealership found the front sway bar disconnect solenoid was blown, causing the dash light to flash. Dealer replaced the whole front sway bar unit and now it works fine. So maybe it is indeed your solenoid blown out.

Chuck
Old 04-13-2008, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to me had to drive 150 miles home from Mexico no fun I think i scrubbed 10,000 mile off my tires . The dealer fixed me up even though I had the 513s gears installed they warranted the repair they said it was the actuator but replaced the whole Carrier.

Quick Reply: factory locker won't disengage.