Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fairlead Question??

Old 06-12-2007, 04:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fairlead Question??

I just installed my Warn 9.5ti winch and AEV bumper. I ordered it from the dealer when I bought my JK. It has been sitting in my garage waiting on my bumper. When I opened it up, I was surprised to see that it came with a hawse fairlead. The winch has a steel cable. Will this be a problem?

Eventually, I plan to switch to a synthetic cable, but for now I plan to use the steel cable.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:53 AM
SCF
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

steel rope needs rollers.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:59 AM
JK Super Freak

it should have a roller fairlead...my old 9.5ti came with a roller fairlead
Old 06-12-2007, 05:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I know a roller fairlead is better with steel rope. It just makes sense. I checked and they sell them with both roller and hawse fairleads. I wonder why they would do that. I'm going to check with the dealer and see if they will order me one for free. If not, I will have to decide if I want to by one or just upgrade to synthetic rope.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SCF
steel rope needs rollers.
no.
Steel rope does not "need" rollers.
Winches with wire rope have been used with hawse fairleads since your grand dad was in diapers.

roller fairleads may work better, be easier, and present less wear on wire ropes but it is not "needed"

Just do not use that iron hawse fairlead with synthetic rope, it will NOt be happy.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by usmcdoc14
no.
Steel rope does not "need" rollers.
Winches with wire rope have been used with hawse fairleads since your grand dad was in diapers.

roller fairleads may work better, be easier, and present less wear on wire ropes but it is not "needed"

Just do not use that iron hawse fairlead with synthetic rope, it will NOt be happy.
+1

steel/iron = wire only (unless you want to spend several hours pollishing)
aluminum = synthetic only (can use wire,but it will wear right through that aluminum)
UHMW = wire/synthetic - been using this on my bronco with wire for over a year, holds up pretty well

Quick Reply: Fairlead Question??