Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fender Flares? Metal or Plastic?

Old 01-10-2012, 02:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender Flares? Metal or Plastic?

What is better plastic or metal after market fender flares? if this thread is already out there please let me know. Thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 02:42 AM
JK Super Freak

i think it comes down to personal opinion. i know alot of people feel that for wheeling, plastic is better as itll flex more and snap off and wont damage the body. personally i love the look of the metal flares more, but they are alot of coin. im probably going to chop my stockers while i figure out what set to get
Old 01-10-2012, 02:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sneck
i think it comes down to personal opinion. i know alot of people feel that for wheeling, plastic is better as itll flex more and snap off and wont damage the body. personally i love the look of the metal flares more, but they are alot of coin. im probably going to chop my stockers while i figure out what set to get
I have found as far as looks I really like warrior products black diamond plate but worry about the off road give... I dont do rock crawling but a big thick tree would sure make a mess of things.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:35 AM
jdk
JK Freak

There have been threads posted on this, and just about any aftermarket finder, metal or plastic, will do body damage. I have Zenon plastic and can verify if you lay the jeep on them they will dent the body. The O.E. finders trimmed look good, and have enough give they normally don't dent.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:11 AM
JK Super Freak

After, literally, tearing front and rear stock fenders off of my jeep, I began a long search for the right choice.
I went with psc steel flares, as they attach with brackets tying into the frame of the jeep. This alleviates the concern of them pushing into the sheet metal, or tearing off of the sheet metal.
Good luck with your choice!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:14 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Slob
What is better plastic or metal after market fender flares? if this thread is already out there please let me know. Thanks
metal fenders look badass and super tough but, because the JK body metal is so thin, i have personally seen them survive a hard hit extremely well but, do damage to the body. i have also personally seen this happen multiple times with a set of plastic xenon flares. because of the way bushwacker plastic flares mount, i have seen them break off their mounts before doing body damage. of course, i personally prefer to run cut down factory fenders as they are FREE, are super flexible and durable, will tear off well before they can do damage to the body and are cheap to replace if needed. this is all i've been running for years now on our big white JK.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

Is there any write ups on cutting your on fenders?
Old 01-10-2012, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a big thread on cutting stock fenders in the jk write up forum. It's called red's fender chop.. I was all about getting metal flares until a recent off-road trip. My jeep would have taken damage if I had metal flares.... So the chop is now in my future....
Old 01-10-2012, 07:05 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Porky-JK
Is there any write ups on cutting your on fenders?
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ry-fender-chop
Old 01-10-2012, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks alot.

Quick Reply: Fender Flares? Metal or Plastic?