Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

finally done with carpeted top

Old 02-22-2007, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finally done with carpeted top

Check it out...did this on my85 cj years ago...now finished my JK

top with winch line

winch ( yes, it is supported between two rafters )
Old 02-22-2007, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it. I did a similar thing to a truck shell many years ago. I was just thinking last night how plan the interior of my unlimited felt. the carpet trick seems like it would take the interior up the next notch. maybe have a quieting effect too?

I can't see the detail but how are you anchoring the hard top to the winch? I had my wife help me take the op off last night to get the soft top out. she hated it. seems I would have more chances to get the top off if I could do it myself. I have a hard point in my garage that I use a chain hoist on. But a chain hoist is overkill for a top. looks like a little winch is just the ticket.

Last edited by gpwpat; 02-22-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:50 PM
TEV
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool, does it make it more quite or something?
Old 02-22-2007, 01:54 PM
JK Super Freak

those pics are too HUGE..they killed my bandwidht...can you make them a little smaller please
Old 02-22-2007, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TEV
cool, does it make it more quite or something?
absolutey...espescially since I first put down(or up )deadening and thermal padding you can get thru jcwhjtney or pepboys...should reduce rain noise big time...If I can get the wind noise at the corners of door ,window and top down ...this think is BIG TIME quiet!!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpwpat
I like it. I did a similar thing to a truck shell many years ago. I was just thinking last night how plan the interior of my unlimited felt. the carpet trick seems like it would take the interior up the next notch. maybe have a quieting effect too?

I can't see the detail but how are you anchoring the hard top to the winch? I had my wife help me take the op off last night to get the soft top out. she hated it. seems I would have more chances to get the top off if I could do it myself. I have a hard point in my garage that I use a chain hoist on. But a chain hoist is overkill for a top. looks like a little winch is just the ticket.

unfortunately they are stainless eye hooks thru the top,all well sealed !!!! but had them on my 85 way before anybody had a top winch available so it was good enuff for this jeep. I contacted Lange and they said they had not fitted a lift for a 2 door yet ???? huh??? so I went this route.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:18 PM
Rubicon Martin

Very Nice. Do you have a higher resolution picture? The Eyehooks through the roof are no big deal. I plan on a Kargo Master Rack and their Mounts are the same with rubber gaskets. The winch idea is awesome, I'm going to run with it and use the Rack mounts as the Hoisting points. You should post step by step guidelines so the novice - like myself - can get the professional results you did...............Yeah, I'm sucking up for more info. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:14 PM
JK Freak

Bigger pics and explanation of how you did it, please.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Kinda "how to"

bigger pics will show the flaws....lol I will take some more.

took off top,and turned over.
precut the sound paddien to fit on all side and top that are single wall
taped off window and sprayed contact glue/ headliner adhesive on top and the padding
applied to top (line it up right the first time)
let sit
cut the carpet to fit how ever you want to start( I went from 3 inches below window ,accross top to 3 inches below other window.
Fold carpet from right side back over the left side so you have the fold in the center of top.

Start from center and spray adhesive to the top( now padding) over to and past window and then spray the BACK side of the carpet that is folded to your left.
once sprayed ,just slowly work the carpet back (unfold it in a sweeping motion )
let sit ,then cut it in around the windows with a NEW blade in a razor knife.
Big portion is done, now you have small pieces to cut-to fit in whatever manner you want to finish out the top.
It is time consuming and you will need about 2 rolls of padding, 4-5 big cans of spray adhesive (3m about $10-12), blue masking tape (1 roll should do) ,probably around 8 x 6 ft of carpet (2door)
I did the freedom tops as well and used a primer gray to paint any white areas that were too sall to carpet(under the levers and windshield clamps.
Thats about it ....definately more complicated the I wrote but easy enuff...its carpet and seams are kinda forgiving...kinda fun too to see what you can accomplish

will try and take bigger pics and post from home 'puter,
Old 02-23-2007, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Default Hoist

I like the idea, I think I might just ahve to strap on my knee pads this weekend.

Good idea with the hoist attachment points. I have a buddy who did that very thing and he uses the winch on his bumper to lift the top off. He runs it through some pullies then lifts it to the ceiling where he has some chain attachments, disconnects the winch, and he is off. just an idea for those that have, or are getting, a winch mounted.

Quick Reply: finally done with carpeted top