Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitch Fuel Catalyst Placement under JK Rubicon Hood

Old 08-17-2009, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, trust me, I am no Fitch promoter. It sounded good at the time and I bought one. Their claims are pretty interesting. I do know my Harley starts up a lot better after sitting since I dropped the Fitch pellets in the tank. Snake oil or not, that I do know. If it does nothing at all, I guess I will just have a $200 conversation starter under the hood.....probably something like this:
"what's that?",
"a fitch",
"what's it do?",
"I have no idea....."

- Thanks for the responses. I will let you know how I make out.

Oh, and here is my Rubi during a camping trip down at the Jersey Shore a couple weeks ago:
Old 08-18-2009, 04:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by pa_jeep
... Oh, and here is my Rubi during a camping trip down at the Jersey Shore a couple weeks ago:
Welcome to the board, Pa_jeep; nice to have you around. Nice looking camping spot and Jeep. You might want to add that pic to the thread:

Show Your Great JK Campsites
Old 08-20-2009, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah I installed one in mine and noticed an immediate 300 horsepower increase and gain an impressive 64 mpg.

No honestly i noticed that my fuel range is more consistent whether i am on or off road. The big advantage which the companysays on the box is that it will allow you to program your programmer for 91 and still allow you to use 87 fuel. Besides its not like running 91 is going to give you better gas mileage. In case you were wondering I mounted mine to the battery tray.

Unfortunatly the only reason I installed it was because my wife bought it for me for christmas because earlier in the year i said,"Wow what a good idea"

Dammit

should have said i needed a tire carrier!
Old 08-21-2009, 01:36 PM
JK Newbie

I hope that I am not adding to the disturbia here, but I thought I was reading this thread to see if this Fitch Fuel Catalyst ACTUALLY worked, and what numbers of improvement were posted. But as I had guessed, this product, much like that of the Tornado air intake add-on, doesn't have any "real" numbers to boast its credibility. I am not one to rain on anyones day, but you, like me, are always looking for ways to squeeze the most out of every drop of gas. So far, the only "real" answer I have found is to leave it parked. BUT, I cannot leave things alone, if I have a Jeep to wheel in, I am going to take it wheeling.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:01 PM
JK Junkie

Hmmm, all the naysayers on this Fitch thingy. I have no experience with it, but lots of magazines reviews like it.

JP magazine tested one on a 07 JK and got 2 mpg improvement..

.pmcycles.com/JP2007.pdf[/url]

"Off Road Magazine, Dec 2008

"not only did we feel a noticeable increase in power, but we also saw improved fuel economy. The good people at Fitch even threw a couple drop-in pellets for us to try in a motorcycle, and we'll tell you right now that we saw the same improvements in our motorcycle as we did with the Durango.

pmcycles.com/Off%20Road%20December%202008.pdf[/url]

4 Wheel Drive SUV Magazine, Jan 2009

"A tremendous gas hog, the truck averaged 7 miles per gallon prior to the installation of the Fitch Fuel Catalyst. With the device in place these numbers made a noticeable jump with an average of 9.6 mpg. The extra pep that was detected felt like we had added an octane booster at the last fuel fill up...."

Off Road Adventures, Jan 2009

"We ran it down to where the needle was bouncing on "E," poured in the 5.5 gallons of old gas, disconnected the Fitch and headed off to our test course to recheck our mileage......we gained an average of 1.4 mpg with the stale gas. To be honest, we do not understand how the Fitch does what it does but it appeared to do something in our testing. It also appeared to live up to Fitch's claim of being able to revitalize stale fuel. "

So even though some of you feel it is a waste of time and money, apperantly some others with a little know how in the feild seem to think differently.

I guess my point is, there is no need to slam on somebody when your opinion is not the only viable one out there.

Last edited by mkjeep; 08-21-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead of opinions from magazines, how about official government sites? Australia seems to have it together more than most:

New South Wales Government
Department of Commerce
Office of Fair Trading

fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/About_us/News_and_events/Media_releases/2008_media_releases/20080810_fuel_saving_devices.html

Ms Burney said the NRMA, in late 2007, had independently tested one product, the Fitch Fuel Catalyst (In-line) and found it provided no significant reduction in fuel consumption or exhaust emission.
“The results of the NRMA testing of this product will be included in Fair Trading’s investigation,” she said.

The Daily Telegraph
Sydney, AU

dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw-bans-fake-petrol-savers/story-e6freuy9-1225700278312

Two other devices, Fuelmate and the Fitch Fuel Catalyst, have been forced to delete all unsubstantiated claims from their website and promotional material, including promises that these products could give up to 25 per cent better fuel economy.
"This is a great outcome for consumers and sends a strong message to other companies who are thinking of misleading their customers," Ms Judge said. "I urge all motorists to be wary of advertising claims that sound too good to be true."

In case you weren't aware, Off Road Adventures is produced by 4 Wheel Parts who sells, guess. Go ahead - guess.

Believe what you want. It's your money. But don't try to tell us how much credibility is in a newsstand magazine or I'll have to pull out my Weekly World News and show you how the Fitch is really a Martian plot to take over the world.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:23 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
Instead of opinions from magazines, how about official government sites? Australia seems to have it together more than most:

New South Wales Government
Department of Commerce
Office of Fair Trading

fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/About_us/News_and_events/Media_releases/2008_media_releases/20080810_fuel_saving_devices.html

Ms Burney said the NRMA, in late 2007, had independently tested one product, the Fitch Fuel Catalyst (In-line) and found it provided no significant reduction in fuel consumption or exhaust emission.
“The results of the NRMA testing of this product will be included in Fair Trading’s investigation,” she said.

The Daily Telegraph
Sydney, AU

dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw-bans-fake-petrol-savers/story-e6freuy9-1225700278312

Two other devices, Fuelmate and the Fitch Fuel Catalyst, have been forced to delete all unsubstantiated claims from their website and promotional material, including promises that these products could give up to 25 per cent better fuel economy.
"This is a great outcome for consumers and sends a strong message to other companies who are thinking of misleading their customers," Ms Judge said. "I urge all motorists to be wary of advertising claims that sound too good to be true."

In case you weren't aware, Off Road Adventures is produced by 4 Wheel Parts who sells, guess. Go ahead - guess.

Believe what you want. It's your money. But don't try to tell us how much credibility is in a newsstand magazine or I'll have to pull out my Weekly World News and show you how the Fitch is really a Martian plot to take over the world.
I didn't know that about OffRoad Adventures.....but the point is still the same. You can take K&N filters for example, test after test show it lets more dirt thru than the paper filter yet some still like them...me included. People can still give opinions without slamming on someone for thiers being different.

For the record.....just like magazines, governments never lie either....Just look at ours....as honest as they come...lol
Old 08-21-2009, 08:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BaltChief
People can still give opinions without slamming on someone for thiers being different.
If my post was taken as a slam, I am truly sorry. Just trying to point out that there is lots of evidence on both sides of the issue.

I suppose my Weekly World News comment was a bit over the top. But still funny!
Old 08-23-2009, 02:33 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by BaltChief
... I guess my point is, there is no need to slam on somebody when your opinion is not the only viable one out there.
Thanks for your thoughts, BaltChief. I want to say that I feel that you're a valued member of the JK-Forum community. I make that clear because my slams are directed at those folks who show up, after Googling the word "Fitch", to extol the virtues of the Fitch on the various car forums. They're recognizable by the fact that they never have a picture of that particular vehicle to contribute to the forum, and because they have only a very few posts on that forum. The genuine newbie who treads into the Fitch debate on a forum runs the risk of being misidentified as one of these Fitch shills.

As for the reality of the Fitch claims: The engineers who design our vehicles are under considerable pressure to get more gas mileage out of the vehicles. The dealers discourage buyers from larger motors in order to improve the manufacturer's CAFE standard. That's disappointed customers (think of the hemi option in the JK) and lost profit. You can take it to the bank: If Fitch really worked, every auto manufacturer that sells in the U.S. would install one from the factory.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:17 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
If Fitch really worked, every auto manufacturer that sells in the U.S. would install one from the factory.
Mark.......I don't really understand that statement. Look how the Superchip programmer gets better performance out of the 3.8. Why isn't it tuned that way from the get go?

Quick Reply: Fitch Fuel Catalyst Placement under JK Rubicon Hood