Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fitting 35's

Old 06-22-2011, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speed2005

Would I? Yes. I am currently running like that. No issues what's so ever. Tires travel up and down not front to back.
As I said, probably best for everyone to check with the setup they have.
I checked mine and could not get it to contact. I feel comfortable with it.
When I get a lift I will feel even more comfortable.
My .02 so take it or leave it. No hard feelings.
I have the TF 2.5" coil on my rubi with 35" mtr/k's and definitely rubbed at full flex, even with the extended bumpstops. Just trimmed the rock rail today and will be doing the pinch seam tomorrow. If I did not have the rock rails, the pinch seam would have tore my tires up out at chokecherry on Sunday. I also rub the fenders at full flex, so the fender trim is on my list for the next time I get some free time. However, I have no issues on the road or any light to moderate wheeling; only at full flex.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:59 PM
JK Super Freak

I also agree on trimming pinch seams!! But I run a 35x12.5x17 MTR and Flatties with trimmed seams.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stop with the pinch seam trimming posts.
It is most likely NOT needed.
I have 35s with no lift and flexed it to check. It will NOT contact the pinch corners!
Now my 35s are on the small side (duratracks) so I recommend flexing your setup and checking but posting that triming pinch to fit 35s is requiered is simpley not accurate.
my .02

My understanding is that when you lift a jeep and keep the OEM control arms, your axles are going to shift inward the higher you lift it.

Since I believe most folks go with at least a 2.5" lift for 35s, I think it is very good advice to examine the pinch seam.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:04 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I have 35s with no lift and flexed it to check. It will NOT contact the pinch corners!
Now my 35s are on the small side (duratracks) so I recommend flexing your setup and checking but posting that triming pinch to fit 35s is requiered is simpley not accurate.
my .02
I have 35" Duratracs and a 2.5" TF coil lift. After listening to my right rear tire rub occasionally while wheeling Moab last week, I discovered my slightly TRIMMED pinch seam has been rubbed bare of some of the paint I applied after trimming it. No apparent tire damage, however--contact just grazed the tire tread.

Did you take into account the bulging effects of low PSI in the tires when you did your clearance check? I, for one, plan to trim my pinch seams just a little more.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:08 PM
JK Freak

my .02
i have 35 duratracs to and i cut the entire pinch seam off before i put the tires on, yea its true you might not have to cut the pinch seam but it only takes 20 minutes and could save you from loosing 1100 dollars worth of tires, always good to be safe then to be stuck on the side of the road saying what if i did cut it
Old 06-29-2011, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry for the Thread jack but I figured it was a good place to ask....

I was planning on 33's with stock suspension maybe some bw flats but I can get a good deal locally on some used km2's. So can I fit 35 km2's with bw flats and the teraflex spacer leveling kit? Trying to keep it low budget. Thanks in advance
Old 06-29-2011, 12:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by chipmaker
I've wheeled the shit out of my set-up and have not trimmed anything. Duratracs are small 35's...
unfortunatly they are
Old 06-29-2011, 12:23 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
... I discovered my slightly TRIMMED pinch seam has been rubbed bare of some of the paint I applied after trimming it. ...
I just went and shot a photo (you guys deserve that ).

Note that the inner piece of sheetmetal is now bent down--no longer straight--caused by the tire's contact with it. Honest, folks, trim the pinch seams--even a little more and higher up than I did.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mcad630
Sorry for the Thread jack but I figured it was a good place to ask....

I was planning on 33's with stock suspension maybe some bw flats but I can get a good deal locally on some used km2's. So can I fit 35 km2's with bw flats and the teraflex spacer leveling kit? Trying to keep it low budget. Thanks in advance
Yes. With the Leveling Kit and some flat fenders, you can fit 35's.

I know this because that is my plan once my current tires wear out.

/hijack

Quick Reply: Fitting 35's