Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fluid leak after drive shaft install

Old 06-19-2011, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid leak after drive shaft install

I installed a front coast drive shaft two weeks ago and everything went good. I was changing the oil today and noticed the whole bottom of pumpkin was wet with oil. It looks like it came from the pinion area where the new yoke was installed. I did check the fluid level and it checked fine. Could I have done something wrong on the install that causing this.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing happened to me when I replaced my drive shaft. Your gonna need a new pinion seal. Make sure you clean that area super good before installing the new one.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that sucks! Thanks for the info.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, sounds like a pinion seal...I strongly suggest you read up on how to perform the change especially when removing that pinion nut, not knowing what you're doing could cause bigger problems with your gears should you not get that nut back on there proper.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:46 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And apply some oil to the yoke, and seal before installing it on the new seal. Either when u removed the old yoke it damaged the seal, or it was damaged when installing yoke.. possibly. Or its just a coincidence..Just be careful and make sure u use lube.
U can get a seal puller from sears or parts store for under 20$. And seals are cheap.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by rinkishJK
And apply some oil to the yoke, and seal before installing it on the new seal. Either when u removed the old yoke it damaged the seal, or it was damaged when installing yoke.. possibly. Or its just a coincidence..Just be careful and make sure u use lube.
U can get a seal puller from sears or parts store for under 20$. And seals are cheap.
That advice can be found in maintenance manuals, and airport security handbooks, as well.

Quick Reply: Fluid leak after drive shaft install