Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Four door Wrangler 6" lift

Old 09-17-2008, 07:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Four door Wrangler 6" lift

We're modding a four door auto wrangler X, 36's, 6" lift, and lots of accessories. What is a very good lift for 6"? In years past my fellow Jeep'ers didn't care for Skyjacker but did like R.E. and Teraflex, this was some 10 years ago, what's the rage now? I want bolt on, nothing insane, must be user friendly...

Thanks inadvance,

Kevin
Old 09-17-2008, 08:11 PM
JK Freak

The Teraflex 6" long arm kit just came out a few weeks ago. I've never heard anything bad about the company, and one of their employees is very active on the forum.

However, I think 6 inches of lift is too much for 36s. You might consider a 4" Teraflex long arm lift instead.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have 37s on the 4in teraflex long arm with no rub on full flex..... So 6 in may be a bit much
Old 09-17-2008, 09:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Have you looked at BDS?
Old 09-18-2008, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

Fabtech makes a really good 6In i heard
Old 09-18-2008, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

Default Skyjacker

What' the consensus on SkyJacker's 6" liftkit, good, bad, in between??

Kevin
Old 09-18-2008, 08:25 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kmobrien76
We're modding a four door auto wrangler X, 36's, 6" lift, and lots of accessories. What is a very good lift for 6"? In years past my fellow Jeep'ers didn't care for Skyjacker but did like R.E. and Teraflex, this was some 10 years ago, what's the rage now? I want bolt on, nothing insane, must be user friendly...

Thanks inadvance,

Kevin
I have the 4" on mine with 37's and it's workin great!
Old 09-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

I too will soon have the 4 inch TeraFlex flex arm kit... currently runing 35's but eventually will run 37's.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here is my first hand experience with the skyjacker lift. I have the skyjacker 6" Long arm lift. And...after wheeing it pretty hard in moab atleast 18 days worth of trail ridding in 2000 miles, I am switching to the TF Lift. Here is what I think about the SkyJacker Lift,

Good:

The control arms are tough!! A lot tougher and bigger than the ones on the TJ kit. So is the rear Lower Control arm mounts. Mine have taken quite a few hits and still no dings/dents, just some scratching.

Pretty good (Not great) on road manners

good flex/decent clearance

Cheap

Bad:

The Rear lower control arm mount hits on everything even with 37s. Mostly because I airdown quite a bit, but still gets caught up, and it could definetly be my driving to .

Front upper control arm design, NOT GOOD. The arms themselves are ok..but the bushings allways wear out, for me, every 500 miles. Not good because when they wear out, makes the axle roate up about 2 inches every time you brake...defiently puts strain on rest of the set up. Rebuild kits from Skyjacker are cheap ($30) for each joint, but you have to get an allignment everytime you replace them. I found out that even if you screw in the joints exactly the same way they were b4, I allways need an allignment.

Front and rear track bar mounts are NO GOOD. they do not replace the track bar just add to the mount. My front broke on a trail, causing loss of stearing. my back one cracked. Did not break because it has an additional piece for support that connects to the rear diff cover.

Above I stated that it has decent road manners but...the Traction controll comes on all the time. Sometimes, it freaks out and disables itsself and stays off for a period of a few days and decides to turn back on. I switched to adjustable shocks and it helped a bit more on the stiffest setting, but not much. The springs are pretty soft

My front springs sagged a ton. I had to add 2in spacers to level it out. Doesn't seem to be a true 6" Lift. I have rubbing at full flex on the front and the rear wheel wells with 37's

I am pretty hard on my jeep, and really take it to its limits at times, but I would expect the suspension to preform better. because of this, I have decided to switch to a TF 6" long arm. It seems to fix all of the issues I am having with the Skyjacker lift. After a lot of research, I strongly recomend TF (They are right down the street from me so I have been there quite a bit the past few weeks trying to decide on a new kit).My jeep is there now, I will let you know how it is once they are finished. Could be a while, I am upgrading to Tera60R axles and 40" or 42" tires to !!

Not sure if this helps, but this is my opinion after 2k miles and a lot of trail time. Good luck!
Old 09-18-2008, 08:44 PM
JK Newbie

I have the RE long arm.

Install was horrible.

Cross member didn't fit without modification.

Flex sucks.

Measurements in the instructions were way off. (I think they used random numbers)

I will replace it with a good lift in the future.

I will not buy any more RE products.

Quick Reply: Four door Wrangler 6" lift