Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FOX ATS Steering Stabilizer Install Question

Old 11-13-2013, 12:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FOX ATS Steering Stabilizer Install Question

Do I need to raise my JK off the ground to install this? It doesn't look like anything is load bearing that would get unbolted for the install.. Just curious as I'd rather slap it on myself, but don't have a jack or jack stands here at the house. The install looks pretty straightforward.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-13-2013, 12:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can you'll just have to turn your Jeep to turn the wheels full left and then full right to ensure you have the SS mounted in the correct position.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Turn the steering wheel is what you mean? So there is nothing load-bearing to worry about if I don't lift if off the ground?
Old 11-13-2013, 12:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nittyp
Turn the steering wheel is what you mean? So there is nothing load-bearing to worry about if I don't lift if off the ground?
Nope. Just make sure you have a full range of motion and the stabilizer doesn't bottom out or max out at full turns.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

Great thanks. If you don't hear back from me notify someone! LMAO!
Old 11-13-2013, 01:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nittyp
Great thanks. If you don't hear back from me notify someone! LMAO!
I'll be installing this sometime this weekend. Please report back and let me know how the install went, and maybe any bumps you hit along the way.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brightwhite
I'll be installing this sometime this weekend. Please report back and let me know how the install went, and maybe any bumps you hit along the way.
The biggest issue I had was I didn't have a socket that was deep enough for the two-sided bolt. I found a Craftsman socket that worked, but it required a trip to Sears.

The hardest part of the install was getting the old SS bracket off of the tie rod. After trying to pry it off without success, I ended up cutting it off.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:48 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by brighton
the biggest issue i had was i didn't have a socket that was deep enough for the two-sided bolt. I found a craftsman socket that worked, but it required a trip to sears. The hardest part of the install was getting the old ss bracket off of the tie rod. After trying to pry it off without success, i ended up cutting it off.
x2 .........
Old 11-14-2013, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by brighton
The biggest issue I had was I didn't have a socket that was deep enough for the two-sided bolt. I found a Craftsman socket that worked, but it required a trip to Sears.

The hardest part of the install was getting the old SS bracket off of the tie rod. After trying to pry it off without success, I ended up cutting it off.
Yep, install took 30 minutes, and half of that was removing that bracket off. Had to cut it off as well. I am very impressed with the difference in ride quality and speed. I mean, that stock dampener is a hunk of junk, so it doesn't surprise me when compared to a quality piece such as this unit from Fox. Gonna play around with the adjustment screw a bit and see what difference if any it makes.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:49 PM
JK Freak

Got mine all in, it looks good and drives great. I would say, just like others, that there is a very noticeable difference when driving. I went over speed bumps, pot holes, and expansion joints and with the Fox ATS and my new ball joints it feels as solid and secure as driving a Mercedes.

One thing though...
I backed off the adjustment screw, then went to tighten it when it got it all in stalled and I turned it a bunch clockwise and it never stopped turning. Is this normal? I figured here would be a point where it stops turning once its gets to the tightest adjustment....

Quick Reply: FOX ATS Steering Stabilizer Install Question