Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frame Side Track Bar Mount

Old 06-17-2018, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Frame Side Track Bar Mount

So a few months back I developed a slight wobble in the steering after hitting a bump, yep you guessed it the dreaded DW. Well after doing some investigation I found my frame side track bar mount was just a little elongated. So I asked myself, "Self what are you going to do now?" I proceeded to answer and say well lets put some weld washers on and get a 9/16 grade 8 bolt, top lock nut and some weld washers and then go to town. So ordered them from Allen's Fasteners and they arrived about 5 days later. After they arrived I put Canvas in the shop and began to fix his wobble. Here are the parts I used and how I did it.

Weld Washers
​​​​​​9/16 CHROMOLY WELD WASHER

Grade 8 9/16 x12 bolt (measure before ordering)
​​​​​​9/16-12 GRADE 8 BOLT

Grade C Top Lock Nut
GRADE C LOCK NUT

Video of how I did it

If you have questions please feel free to shoot me a PM
Old 06-17-2018, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Is that a quick tack that you cut off of the nut to keep it from moving? Seems like that step could keep a lot of folks from having issues once they set the torque correctly....although it may destroy the nut if they need to remove it in the future.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:42 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Is that a quick tack that you cut off of the nut to keep it from moving? Seems like that step could keep a lot of folks from having issues once they set the torque correctly....although it may destroy the nut if they need to remove it in the future.
I was wondering why so much trouble removing the bolt and nut? I guess if I were worried about it I would just use a dab of red locktite on that particular fastener vs welding it.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The hole was so sloppy that event tightening would not keep it in place. I tacked the nut and bolt to keep it from wobbling. I was not worried about keeping the nut or bolt since I have a replacement on hand.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jadmt
I was wondering why so much trouble removing the bolt and nut? I guess if I were worried about it I would just use a dab of red locktite on that particular fastener vs welding it.
I had globbed a couple of tacks on there and they were well lets say in not the easiest place to get at. Tightening the nut would not have kept it in place since the hole was so sloppy. The tacks kept the track where it needed.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

The ole wallowed out frame side hole.....smh. That factory bracketry sux so bad. Glad you spotted the issue, chose your method of remedy, and knocked it out. That spot seems to often be left alone until people have an issue with it........cept, DW isn't one of those things that's "fun" to experience even once!

That was your only issue? You didn't have a wobble before that then wallowed out the hole? It was just gradual wear and tear over the years?

Quick Reply: Frame Side Track Bar Mount