Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Axle Options

Old 03-12-2016, 06:01 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
I should have remembered that these axles have alignment sleeves!
Yes they do! It's an awesome feature. It is more than just adjusting caster and camber. People don't realize that when they put on larger tires, things such as scrub radius change. The adjustment sleeves provide the ability to adjust that. We'll leave akerman angle for another day.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:50 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Fusion 4x4
Yes they do! It's an awesome feature. It is more than just adjusting caster and camber. People don't realize that when they put on larger tires, things such as scrub radius change. The adjustment sleeves provide the ability to adjust that. We'll leave akerman angle for another day.
How does the sleeve work?
Old 03-12-2016, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
How does the sleeve work?
There's several versions of this that Ford used. For example, the 1-ton my wife drives (97) uses a sleeve that has a castle type top to it with the hole that the ball joint goes through off center. The C of the axle has corresponding castle part so the sleeve fits into that like a gear inside a gear. You can rotate that sleeve one tooth at a time and this changes the caster and camber at the same time. You can order the sleeves with the hole offset different amounts. This link shows a bunch of different types that Ford has used.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ford...HZ1GAycQsAQIHg
Old 03-13-2016, 10:17 AM
JK Junkie

There's several versions of this that Ford used. For example, the 1-ton my wife drives (97) uses a sleeve that has a castle type top to it with the hole that the ball joint goes through off center. The C of the axle has corresponding castle part so the sleeve fits into that like a gear inside a gear. You can rotate that sleeve one tooth at a time and this changes the caster and camber at the same time. You can order the sleeves with the hole offset different amounts. This link shows a bunch of different types that Ford has used. https://www.google.com/search?q=ford...HZ1GAycQsAQIHg
Thanks sir

On a related note, did anybody see the episode of Car Fix Where they did A D60/Sterling combo on a JK? Looks like they used the Artec kit but no mention.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Thanks sir

On a related note, did anybody see the episode of Car Fix Where they did A D60/Sterling combo on a JK? Looks like they used the Artec kit but no mention.
Yep, looked to be an Artec kit. The trick with the Sterling in a Jk is that it runs into the fuel tank. Fusion4x4 sent me an email saying they think they have a solution for it. I'm hoping so as they are the top of my list for axle upgrade.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:32 PM
Former Vendor

Yep, looked to be an Artec kit. The trick with the Sterling in a Jk is that it runs into the fuel tank. Fusion4x4 sent me an email saying they think they have a solution for it. I'm hoping so as they are the top of my list for axle upgrade.

We should know within a couple weeks. Another option would be to use our new Super 9 rear axle. Light, lots of ground clearance, and a nice fit into the JK. 3rd members are cool as anyone with some basic hand tools can swap one out. You can upgrade any time in the future and 3rd's can be bought and sold for good values, unlike a ring and pinion that are about worthless when used. So, you can save up some coin and swap to a 10" Gearworks third in the future. Not that it is needed, but they are very cool.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

We should know within a couple weeks. Another option would be to use our new Super 9 rear axle. Light, lots of ground clearance, and a nice fit into the JK. 3rd members are cool as anyone with some basic hand tools can swap one out. You can upgrade any time in the future and 3rd's can be bought and sold for good values, unlike a ring and pinion that are about worthless when used. So, you can save up some coin and swap to a 10" Gearworks third in the future. Not that it is needed, but they are very cool.
Patiently waiting for details on that Super 9 and how it compares to the Spider 9s or similar.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:29 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hah ya dont hear gearworks very often around here. Those sleeves are the same i used on my ford axle they are great just make sure they are what degrees and such you need and they are rotated correctly. I had a rough day and put one in one notch off and mine wasnt able to turn without pulling the bjs again. Unless someone has a trick.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:39 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Blizz
Patiently waiting for details on that Super 9 and how it compares to the Spider 9s or similar.
We can use Spider 9 housings. We use larger unit bearings and ones that work with JK electronics. The ends are massive D60 ends on the front (or Reid Super King Pin). Rear is a unit bearing floater, like you see on most KOH rigs.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What are your thoughts specifically on the reasons I may be hesitant on going with a Fusion4x4 front axle swap instead of something like the dynatrac PR44 or other comparable manu. product i.e. Teraflex that was specifically made for the JKs? It's just that the other options (dynatrac, teraflex) seem to have more readily available support (manu. customer support, forums, etc.) than going with an axle that has been modified and only one "manu." to go through.

However, I guess if it retains ford components (gears, locker, tie rod, drag link, ball joints, etc.) and the connections from the frame to the jeep and drive shaft are that of a JK, then it shouldn't be a problem.

I am just trying to get a better fell for their (Fusion4x4) axle.

Quick Reply: Front Axle Options