Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front bumper: AEV or LOD sig series mid?

Old 02-23-2009, 03:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front bumper: AEV or LOD sig series mid?

Trying to choose a bumper for the front of my new JK Rubi. Looking at a used AEV front with winch mount and skidplate that's local to me. Or the LoD signiture series mid-legnth with winch hoop and skid plate. I'm leaning towards the AEV since it looks the best IMHO. How much will either of these bumpers drop my front end without a winch installed? More than 3/4"? I'm planning on either a teraflex 2.5" coil lift or the OME setup from Northridge in the future, hopefully before summer. Any disadvantages to either bumper?
Old 02-23-2009, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally love the look of the AEV.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is like comparing apples and oranges. I got the AEV front, but one is designed for maximum protection, and the other is trying to offer the ability to put your tires on larger rocks etc... where the full size could get hung up.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:34 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

both are really nice bumpers but as mentioned, comparing the two really is like comparing apples and oranges. if you wheel a lot on the rocks, you will find that ANY full width bumper is a liability as it will get in the way. of course, if that's not the kind of wheeling you do, there really is no need for maximum approach angles
Old 02-23-2009, 05:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
both are really nice bumpers but as mentioned, comparing the two really is like comparing apples and oranges. if you wheel a lot on the rocks, you will find that ANY full width bumper is a liability as it will get in the way. of course, if that's not the kind of wheeling you do, there really is no need for maximum approach angles
I def won't be hitting any big rocks out here on the east coast. I know they are both technically for two different purposes. I'll be doing trails and small rocks and want a bumper that has the ability to have a winch mounted inside the bumper. Also don't want to have to do any cutting or any permanent modifications to mount a bumper. Biggest thing I worried about is how much the front end will sag with just the bumper w/o a winch, since it could be a few months worst case till I get a lift installed, and don't want to lose any major amount of ground clearance.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:54 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by highoctane
I def won't be hitting any big rocks out here on the east coast. I know they are both technically for two different purposes. I'll be doing trails and small rocks and want a bumper that has the ability to have a winch mounted inside the bumper. Also don't want to have to do any cutting or any permanent modifications to mount a bumper. Biggest thing I worried about is how much the front end will sag with just the bumper w/o a winch, since it could be a few months worst case till I get a lift installed, and don't want to lose any major amount of ground clearance.
just know that if you go with the aev, you cannot install a warn power plant. also, if you wish to retain the factory crush cans, you will need to cut them out of the factory substructure. also, you should be aware that the installation of an aev bumper is not easy and will take a good amount of time. but, it is a clean looking bumper and i'm sure you would be happy with it. the lod will not have the same kind of factory look but it is very easy to install and requires no cutting or drilling and it can accept just about any winch available.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
just know that if you go with the aev, you cannot install a warn power plant. also, if you wish to retain the factory crush cans, you will need to cut them out of the factory substructure. also, you should be aware that the installation of an aev bumper is not easy and will take a good amount of time. but, it is a clean looking bumper and i'm sure you would be happy with it. the lod will not have the same kind of factory look but it is very easy to install and requires no cutting or drilling and it can accept just about any winch available.
I'm a helicopter mechanic on CH-53E's by trade so tacking the task of a bumper and lift is def in my skill range, though I have read the AEV is more difficult than the rest to install. Thanks for the info about the Warn not being compatible. I really want a 9.5ti when I do get a winch. I'll have to think about this. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by eisenjj
How about ARB!
I honestly thought about the ARB. The only thing that I don't like about the ARB is the rectangular amber turn signal lights on the ends of the bumper. If I could get it with just the foglight mounts I'd def be strongly considering the ARB. Call me picky but the turn signals is a huge turnoff to me.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

The AEV and the 9.5ti is a sweet setup

Last edited by Windrocker; 02-24-2009 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

For what it's worth, I love my AEV front bumper. I know the full width can get in the way on some stuff, but I was certainly glad to have it when I hit a deer... Took it at about 55 mph and the Jeep sustained no damage at all. If you travel a lot in highly deer populated areas, this might be a consideration. Not saying it'll always protect you 100%, but it did this one time for me.

Good luck with your decision!

Quick Reply: Front bumper: AEV or LOD sig series mid?