Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

front drive shaft help!!!

Old 11-24-2013, 08:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front drive shaft help!!!

So I have a 3.5 inch lift on my 4 door jk and I changed my oil today and noticed while I was under there that my front driveshaft was slinging grease near the transfer case and I know this is a non servicable part, I knew this would happen eventually but I need some help in what to do or buy. I don't have adjustable front control arms and im not getting any and I don't do any offroading so I don't need some crazy heavy duty part and I'm in a tight budget at the moment. I'll take all the suggestions and advice I can get so please help me out!!! Thanks!
Old 11-24-2013, 08:09 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just shy of 4" of lift, I let my front sling grease for a couple yrs before replacing with a Tom Woods 1310 shaft. If you're not going off road much, I wouldn't worry about changing it until you notice some obvious wear in the shaft, imo.

Last edited by k0260; 11-25-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:41 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Some people indicate that they have decent luck with just packing grease into that joint on occasion. Or if you look around on quadratec, you will find a rebuilt kit. Or check craigslist or where ever and find a cheap take-off shaft from someone who has gone aftermarket. Or -- just remove the front shaft, and re-install if/when you need it.

And, as noted above, you could just keep an eye (and ear) on it. If it gets to the point where it dries out too much and you can hear it squealing, yank it off before it seizes.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirbdog44
... I don't do any offroading ...
A failed DS can be dangerous. Take it off and drive on until you can afford to fix it right.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:26 AM
JK Newbie

I had a similar issue after installing my 2.5" RK max travel lift. I just went ahead a got a new DS from Adam's DS. I rather have the peace of mind knowing that my DS isn't going to fail while driving around.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a cheap alternative to buying a new and expensive driveshaft, you could just buy a used one off a forum member who replaced theirs with an aftermarket shaft. Direct swap (don't need to change yokes, etc). And you may get lucky and the next one won't fail.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kirbdog44
So I have a 3.5 inch lift on my 4 door jk and I changed my oil today and noticed while I was under there that my front driveshaft was slinging grease near the transfer case and I know this is a non servicable part, I knew this would happen eventually but I need some help in what to do or buy. I don't have adjustable front control arms and im not getting any and I don't do any offroading so I don't need some crazy heavy duty part and I'm in a tight budget at the moment. I'll take all the suggestions and advice I can get so please help me out!!! Thanks!
They make repair kits now
Crown Automotive 528533FRK - Drive Shaft CV Joint Repair Kit for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Quick Reply: front drive shaft help!!!