Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front driveshaft throwing grease

Old 02-26-2009, 10:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front driveshaft throwing grease

Just noticed today that my front driveshaft has started to throw grease around. This means it is toast correct? Can I still drive it in 2wd, will this cause any damage? I am guessing I need new driveshaft :(

I have a 2DR w/ OME 2''
Old 02-26-2009, 11:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to go ahead and set aside some of your tax refund......I probably would not wheel with it like that. You can drive it in 2wd, but only being in 2wd wont matter too much b/c the front shaft is always spinning on JKs while your moving unless you have modified the front axel to a free spin - manual hub set up.

Oh....and the speed associated with freeway driving is a bad thing for you right now......no grease = lots of heat!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 01:15 PM
JK Freak

So lets say I don't put it in 4wd. Just driving in 2wd, can I damage anything if I don't replace it right off? I dont do highway driving.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Brdhoodlum
So lets say I don't put it in 4wd. Just driving in 2wd, can I damage anything if I don't replace it right off? I dont do highway driving.
Its just a ticking time bomb now ( am I allowed to say bomb). You will eventually get a bad vibration when its toast. I have heard of people running it like this for 4,000 miles but it varies.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:23 PM
JK Freak

I would just take it off if your worried about it
Old 02-26-2009, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Kinda depends where your throwing greese from. If it's from the boot, You can drive it. I drove mine for mos like that. if it's from the CV fitting, I would probably change it asap. You can take it off and drive just fine without it.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:58 PM
JK Freak

Alright everyone, thanks for the advice. I will probably run it for a while, I cant afford a ds for another week or so.

What would you guys get for a ds?

I was recommended the Coast 1310, but damn its $600.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:19 PM
JK Freak

I just replaced my rear driveshaft.

9 months ago I bought the JE Reel Being new to offroading, I didn't know the CV / univeral joints had to be greased religiously, so now....

I had a local shop make a new driveshaft. This one is the proper length, used 2.5" tubes, and I know to grease it every oil change and every deep water/ mud outing.

Just paid 375.00

oh yeah... and if its your front shaft, just pull it. Don't drive with it going out, if it falls apart the shaft is going to stick into whatever your driving over...just picture that one, its not good.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:29 PM
JK Freak

Okay good to know.

Is it strange I lost the front drive shaft before the rear on a 2DR? Seems like most of you guys have toasted the Rear first
Old 02-26-2009, 03:35 PM
JK Freak

It is odd. The reason for the rear is that it is much shorter then the front. So the angle, expecially after a lift can be very steep, which I believe is the reason for the double cardin/ CV joint in the front of the rear driveshaft.

You also might just grease up the front and see how it goes if your not getting any squeel from it. (that nice metal on metal squeel)

Quick Reply: Front driveshaft throwing grease