Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Locker Actuator Not Moving at All - Troubleshooting Advice

Old 11-19-2017, 12:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Front Locker Actuator Not Moving at All - Troubleshooting Advice

I recently swapped in a used prorock 44 with a rubicon elocker up front. This went in, in place of the factory D44 in my Rubicon.

While in 4Lo, the rear locks and is indicated on the dash with a solid lock light. The front just blinks, I've tested it with wheels in the air to allow alignment, no improvement.
-I pulled the cover, everything looks copacetic.
-Voltage the the actuator outer connector is 12V when the locker button is on.
-I jumped 12V from the battery to the outer connector, zero movement in the actuator.

Do these actuators fail to the point of zero response? I have only read about them weakening or wearing and needing shimmed.
It seems as simple as an electro magnet, it could only fail if it had an open in the circuit... I get 3M Ohms of resistance through the circuit, but not an open.
This is from a '16 Rubicon with less than 10K miles on the locker....

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:09 PM
JK Freak

So when the locker is activated, the carrier does become magnetized, just figured that out. Could my gear guy have assembled something incorrectly? I can se that the plunger is indeed in the proper place and functioning properly. I can easily move the locking ring with a screw driver and the axle locks, also the locker indicator stops blinks and how locked. When I remove the screw driver, the ring goes back to the unlocked position...
Old 11-19-2017, 01:44 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

You said the magnet is becoming energized, so the actuator ring may be worn, or stuck.
The part identified in the picture isn't the part you can move with a screwdriver.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Locker Actuator.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	676148

Last edited by ronjenx; 11-19-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
You said the magnet is becoming energized, so the actuator ring may be worn, or stuck.
The part identified in the picture isn't the part you can move with a screwdriver.

Attachment 676148
Thanks ronjenx! Im going to pull the carrier and see what I can find out.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:09 AM
JK Freak

So with the carrier out of the axle, it seems I need to pull this bearing on the end after the actuator.
-I'm going to use a bearing puller from harbor freight.
Once off can this bearing be reused? It has only 500 miles on it.
Also do i need to take it to a shop to have it pressed back on when the issue is fixed?

Quick Reply: Front Locker Actuator Not Moving at All - Troubleshooting Advice