Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Rubicon 44 Install

Old 12-18-2008, 11:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Rubicon 44 Install

Anyone on here installed one of these puppies themselves. If so how long and how hard was it to do this. Im needing a new front axle and want to get this for my X model and I think Im mechanically inclined to do this.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just find one with a Dana44 under it and take a few measurements. Since the body/frame are the same, the attatchment points have to be pretty much the same. If they are, and you can turn a wrench, you should be able to knock it out.

Bob
Old 12-18-2008, 03:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're a neat freak and have all your tools arranged, about 4-5 hours for the mechanical side. It's a direct bolt up, everything's in the same place. If you're like me, about 6-6 1/2 hours. It's a bit of a job by yourself. I had 4 floor jacks to use and they all came in handy. The wiring takes a bit more time and there's plenty of info on how to do it here. If you have any specific questions, don't be shy PMing me as I sometimes forget to revisit threads.

Cheers
Old 12-19-2008, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

any idea what a shop would charge charge to do this?
Old 12-19-2008, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did mine myself, really easy, the only difficult part is lifting the darn thing. I borrowed an engine lift from my father in law and used that to lower the axle on a moving dolly, pushed it in place and bolted her up.
The wiring is simple too, just a positive negative on the top plug and the bottom plut is a switch, wire it up to a positive lead and the second wire to a light and you ar good to go.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:52 AM
JK Jedi Master

it should'nt take that long, just leave your D30 brake calipers attached to the lines. They bolt back up to your 44.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

oooo.....cant wait to do this to my jk either....
Old 12-19-2008, 08:05 PM
JK Freak

It really isn't that big of a job. In addition to the standard array of tools I'd be sure to have the following:

1. ratchet strap/s: getting the last control arm bolt to line up was a biatch. wrap the strap on a bracket and pull the eye into place.
2. Extra floor jacks: its really not a good idea to have 300+ lbs balancing on its center of gravity.
3. Block spacers: for the floor jacks. You're going to want to get that front end way up so you have plenty of room to work under there. Most floor jacks aren't gonna get a lifted jeep high enough.

Other than that, an impact driver really makes your life alot more pleasant.

What I wish I did when the axle was sitting on jack stands was weld up the track bar bracket. So many JKers have cracked/snapped theirs and have endured evil death wobble that its worth investing a few bucks on reinforcement brackets and welding them on while its easy to work on.

+1 one the calipers. Even tho the D44 comes complete with calipers, don't bother. Use your current ones and a hanger or beefy zip tie to hang it in place. Not worth the hassle.

Quick Reply: Front Rubicon 44 Install