Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front stretch

Old 02-07-2020, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, love the ud60s, but if I were starting over i’d Do a custom 14 bolt 73-74 inches wide, more separation between caster and pinion, and probably something higher than 5.38, if they make such a thing. Probably only cost $1500-2k more, but when ud60s are already topping 13k, it’s a relatively small up charge for something stronger and fully custom.

im on 3.5 backspace, and the wheel selection sucks. To get less I’d have to have someone cut the center’s out of some steel wheels and re weld them, and the scrub radius is already massive.

notching the frame literally on the corner of where it goes diagonally inboard and up makes me nervous. Without a bona fide engineer doing the design, you’re really just guessing it’s strong enough.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

There was a guy relatively recently that did it. He was driving at a low lift and 38's or something like that. He's in FL if I recall correctly and Dirtman havgave him the same options....none of which he liked so he cut the frame. The end product didn't look bad and the plating should hold up. It's just a lot of work and you're really moving out of daily driver territory and into buggy territory. I don't recall the guy's screen name but he's lurking somewhere and had conversations with Dirtman.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

It's been down several times and I would not worry about it. You could also buy a wide dana 60 housing and swap everything over. It cost about $2k.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 02-07-2020 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m thinking the temporary solution may just be some wheel spacers.

interesting thought on upgrading the housing. When I decide if I’m doing more lift or coilovers, that would be a good time to add it to the mix. Or maybe sooner. Need to investigate.

Quick Reply: Front stretch