JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Front Track Bar Issue (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/front-track-bar-issue-324829/)

danimal863 08-04-2015 05:24 PM

Front Track Bar Issue

I have got a 2015 JKU Sport. I recently (3-4 months) installed the Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod which comes with an over-sized adjustable front track bar.. I have taken it off road twice since. This last outting was muddy...all this central Florida rain. Anyway, while washing the mud off the under side, I noticed the front track bar is rubbing the front pumpkin (differential cover). I placed a pair of ramps, your typical black plastic ones from parts stores, one on the driver side front and one on the passenger side rear to replicate a "flex" in my driveway. It wasn't quite touching yet, but was within a .25". Any recommendations, drop brackets? or can the bar be rotated slightly out to clear the pumpkin without effecting geometry?

Sorry if there is a thread already started about this, I couldn't find it.

yardbird 08-04-2015 05:53 PM

I think your best option is to use a bracket that raises the trac bar on the axle side instead of dropping it on the frame side. I'm pretty sure Off Road Evolution's bracket mounts on the axle

danimal863 08-04-2015 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by yardbird (Post 4130027)
I think your best option is to use a bracket that raises the trac bar on the axle side instead of dropping it on the frame side. I'm pretty sure Off Road Evolution's bracket mounts on the axle

Geometry wise, it doesn't need to stay as close to perpendicular as possible? I'm going to look for that bracket now though, thanks!

nthinuf 08-04-2015 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by danimal863 (Post 4130036)
Geometry wise, it doesn't need to stay as close to perpendicular as possible? I'm going to look for that bracket now though, thanks!

Is it a factory diff cover?

The trackbar and draglink need to remain parallel to each other. If you raise the axle end of the trackbar, you should probably also flip the draglink to the top of the knuckle. If you flip the draglink, you will need to add more bumpstop to keep it off the frame when the passenger side is stuffed. So, can you add enough bumpstop on your 2.5" lift? :dontknow2: (Most flip mfg's recommend 3"+)

You might look into other options before messing with the steering geometry. Maybe a different diff cover? A trackbar with different bends? I don't recall seeing any posts about it, so if no one else chimes in with a fix, maybe contact RK to see if they have a workaround?

There may be trackbar brackets that will move it enough to let you clear the cover while also keeping it parallel to the draglink, but I don't know of any right off hand.

Invest2m4 08-05-2015 06:39 AM

The track bar can also be rotated. You should not have an issue getting it to clear, just mess with the rotation. And double check that the axle is centered and not offset too far to one side.

danimal863 08-05-2015 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by nthinuf (Post 4130062)
Is it a factory diff cover?

The trackbar and draglink need to remain parallel to each other. If you raise the axle end of the trackbar, you should probably also flip the draglink to the top of the knuckle. If you flip the draglink, you will need to add more bumpstop to keep it off the frame when the passenger side is stuffed. So, can you add enough bumpstop on your 2.5" lift? :dontknow2: (Most flip mfg's recommend 3"+)

You might look into other options before messing with the steering geometry. Maybe a different diff cover? A trackbar with different bends? I don't recall seeing any posts about it, so if no one else chimes in with a fix, maybe contact RK to see if they have a workaround?

There may be trackbar brackets that will move it enough to let you clear the cover while also keeping it parallel to the draglink, but I don't know of any right off hand.

Yeah, it is the factory D30 cover. I forgot to measure before the lift, but i think I have read others that have netted 3" from the RK 2.5. I have contacted RK about the issue, but I was seeing if anyone else has had the problem.

Thanks for your input though!

danimal863 08-05-2015 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Invest2m4 (Post 4130163)
The track bar can also be rotated. You should not have an issue getting it to clear, just mess with the rotation. And double check that the axle is centered and not offset too far to one side.

I was thinking maybe it was rotated a little too much towards the diff...didn't think about the axle issue though. Isn't that what the track bar is there for? Centering? Sorry, I have always had IFS and leaf spring vehicles.

OH9JK 08-05-2015 01:49 PM

Rotate the trackbar slightly toward front of Jeep enough that it clears the differential cover.

FYI...I have same lift kit and trackbar with an aftermarket Riddler cover and mine clears just fine.

danimal863 08-05-2015 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by OH9JK (Post 4130288)
Rotate the trackbar slightly toward front of Jeep enough that it clears the differential cover.

FYI...I have same lift kit and trackbar with an aftermarket Riddler cover and mine clears just fine.

Thanks! When I had called RK, they told me to have the caster checked. If that doesn't work, try rotating the track bar out away from the diff slightly. If neither work, lower control arms are in my future.

fredrok 08-05-2015 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by OH9JK (Post 4130288)

This. Same here.