JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Front Track Bar Issue (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/front-track-bar-issue-324829/)

danimal863 08-08-2015 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by SoK66 (Post 4131149)
At 2.5" you probably don't need to raise the track bar at the axle & flip the drag link. (You have to do both!) I'm more incluned to think your front control arms are adjusted too long. A good rule of thumb for the front lowers on a lifted rig is 23 1/8".

Like 14 sport said, no control arms, just springs, front track bar, and rear track bar bracket. I'm starting to really see the advantages to adjustable LCAs though.

danimal863 08-08-2015 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 4131167)

How does it handle at speed ? The stock mod is a very basic kit... I usually recommend the flex kit which includes front lowers (for caster) Geometry brackets are another option and cheaper. You could also do front uppers but i would not go with RK's (too long), you want a upper that will adjust shorter than stock. Synergy and MC arms will.

Everything handles fine. Other than getting blown around everywhere! Haha...wasn't warned about that when I bought my JKU. It doesn't wander, tracks straight, no wobble...everything is good, just rubbing. An adjustable rear TB was recommended though, because my rear axle is a little off center from the lift, but not serious. I'm going to try and rotate the TB out from the diff when I get a chance and update.

You just brought up a point about the CAs that I have never heard though. Would I only need shorter then stock uppers if I am not replacing the lowers as well?

nthinuf 08-08-2015 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by danimal863 (Post 4131318)
You just brought up a point about the CAs that I have never heard though. Would I only need shorter then stock uppers if I am not replacing the lowers as well?

Correct. To raise the caster, you would use either longer lower arms or shorter upper arms. One note though - with taller lifts, some mfg's upper arms will not adjust short enough to raise the caster to acceptable levels. Should not be an issue at your height, just worth mentioning.

For the rear trackbar, you already have a raised bracket? Put an adj trackbar lower down on the priority list.

jadmt 08-08-2015 09:04 PM

slap on some TeraFlex sport fixed lower control arms and that will give you about perfect caster for a RK 2.5" lift. I have been totally satisfied with mine and at about $165 hard to beat. Mine drives and tracks straight and one finger steering at 80mph.
http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/x...psaekm54cs.jpg
http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/x...pslp9rpmrn.jpg

danimal863 08-08-2015 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by nthinuf (Post 4131322)

Correct. To raise the caster, you would use either longer lower arms or shorter upper arms. One note though - with taller lifts, some mfg's upper arms will not adjust short enough to raise the caster to acceptable levels. Should not be an issue at your height, just worth mentioning.

For the rear trackbar, you already have a raised bracket? Put an adj trackbar lower down on the priority list.

Good to know. I don't plan on going above what I have got currently any time soon...it's amazing how even 1" more could cost so much in terms of CAs, driveshafts, drag link flips, etc.

It's a relocation bracket, so I'm assuming it raised the TB. I really wish I could have put the lift on myself so I would have more knowledge on how everything went together, but a sloped driveway probably isn't the safest place to have a vehicle on jack stands. Haha! Plus a little under $400 with alignment couldn't be beat.

danimal863 08-08-2015 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 4131371)
slap on some TeraFlex sport fixed lower control arms and that will give you about perfect caster for a RK 2.5" lift. I have been totally satisfied with mine and at about $165 hard to beat. Mine drives and tracks straight and one finger steering at 80mph.

Definitely have to look into those...I never realized how much more flex you can get out of flatties. I put mine on ramps to "flex" and my rear was almost stuffed...sway bar was disconnected though.

danimal863 08-10-2015 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by danimal863 (Post 4130011)
I have got a 2015 JKU Sport. I recently (3-4 months) installed the Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod which comes with an over-sized adjustable front track bar.. I have taken it off road twice since. This last outting was muddy...all this central Florida rain. Anyway, while washing the mud off the under side, I noticed the front track bar is rubbing the front pumpkin (differential cover). I placed a pair of ramps, your typical black plastic ones from parts stores, one on the driver side front and one on the passenger side rear to replicate a "flex" in my driveway. It wasn't quite touching yet, but was within a .25". Any recommendations, drop brackets? or can the bar be rotated slightly out to clear the pumpkin without effecting geometry?

Sorry if there is a thread already started about this, I couldn't find it.

Sooo is my TB upside down?

Attachment 621055

jadmt 08-10-2015 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by danimal863 (Post 4131775)
Sooo is my TB upside down?

Attachment 621055

yes........................you need to rotate it up so the bend is toward the top about 15* forward
http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/x...psu2fo2dc9.jpg

danimal863 08-10-2015 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 4131789)

yes........................you need to rotate it up so the bend is toward the top about 15* forward

I tried to earlier, but I couldn't get the jam nut off the lower end to rotate it. So I'm going to take it to the shop and have them honor their work.

jadmt 08-10-2015 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by danimal863 (Post 4131841)
I tried to earlier, but I couldn't get the jam nut off the lower end to rotate it. So I'm going to take it to the shop and have them honor their work.

the jam nuts are beeches as the are torqued to 250 ft/lbs and have red locktite.