Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Track Bar Problems

Old 06-02-2011, 07:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Track Bar Problems

I've been fighting DW for a few weeks now. Only once have I had it so bad that I had to stop to get it under control. Had a shop install some new ball joints and new steering stabilizer, and while that helped, it didn't solve the problem. I have a RE 3.5 superflex with their adjustable trackbar. I can't see any movement, but if I try to shake the bar, I hear a little bit of play. I have loosened it up, shook the heck out of the jeep and torqued it down a few times. Every time I do, the shimmy goes away completely for a few days, and then slowly comes back.

So my questions: Is there a way to make sure that it is the track bar that is bad (one bushing is a little squished, but still looks ok)? - Is there a way to get new bushings now that RE is closed until somebody takes them back over? - If it is best to just get a new trackbar, what's best for mine since I can't get the RE one that should go with my lift?

Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see planmans write up on the issue. hes knowledgeable.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:22 PM
JK Newbie

Read through the thread a few times, can't decide if it is for sure my track bar or not, and if I decide that it is, I'm not sure what is a good one to replace it with. No real indications of bump steer, only getting the DW between 35-45, seems that bump steer would be over a much broader range.

Any ideas on how to get RE bushings or what a good replacement adj. track bar will be?
Old 06-03-2011, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Before you do anything else, take the track bar off completely and make sure that your track bar mounting holes are not wollered out. Check both bolt holes on each mounting bracket, on the frame and on the axle. You will have to take the mounting bolts completely out to check this. That is the most common cause of death wobble.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cajunaviator
Before you do anything else, take the track bar off completely and make sure that your track bar mounting holes are not wollered out. Check both bolt holes on each mounting bracket, on the frame and on the axle. You will have to take the mounting bolts completely out to check this. That is the most common cause of death wobble.
Exactly. From what you have described I can pretty much bet this is your problem. It's not the TB it's the holes it's suppose to mount to. Even if the mounting hole is bit out of round (AKA wollowed out) it will cause DW. I'd weld up some grade 8 washers and remound your TB and see how that does. I had DW in mine when it was stock. When I was installing the lift I noticed that the TB bracket on the axle was wollowed out. I was no longer concerned with it because I installed AEV's high steer kit which eliminates the stock TB location. And yes, this solved my DW problem.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:48 AM
JK Freak

I had a wobble and changing my stock lower arms to adjustable and changing caster fixed it. Just letting you know I check track bar, tire pressure, tire balancing, steering sab ect... your track bar maybe fine, but if you dont find the cause of the problem something will give.

Last edited by bahadden; 06-03-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

hmm, sitting in my garage now with the track bar out. not sure how to tell if the holes are wallowed out or not. how snug are the bolts supposed to be. w/out the track bar in, just the bolts, they wiggle a little, but not too much. is any play unacceptable? what are some solutions if I can't weld?
Old 06-03-2011, 11:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by superbee
hmm, sitting in my garage now with the track bar out. not sure how to tell if the holes are wallowed out or not. how snug are the bolts supposed to be. w/out the track bar in, just the bolts, they wiggle a little, but not too much. is any play unacceptable? what are some solutions if I can't weld?
they should go in tightly, to the point where you can hear and feel the threads of the screws when you put them in and out of the hole. Mine dont really have any play at all. Not sure about a solution if you can't weld, if they are really wallowed out you will need new brackets.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:28 AM
JK Newbie

they aren't that tight, but they aren't an oval by any means (same gap between bolt and hole no matter what side i push the bolt to). seems odd that they would have wallowed out in a perfect hole. unless i find another suggestion, might have to see if I can find somebody that can weld.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by superbee
they aren't that tight, but they aren't an oval by any means (same gap between bolt and hole no matter what side i push the bolt to). seems odd that they would have wallowed out in a perfect hole. unless i find another suggestion, might have to see if I can find somebody that can weld.
when you torque them down, is there any movement?

Quick Reply: Front Track Bar Problems