Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front upper control arm bushings

Old 06-14-2017, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front upper control arm bushings

2008 with 104K on it......wondering if the the bushings should be replaced.......are they supposed to be more to one side or centered like the rest of the bushings. I'd love to attach a picture of what I mean, but can't get it to work.

I installed a Rough Country 3.5" lift in Jan and a month later I got this clunk when I turn the wheel or go over any kind of bump. The klunk is intermittent tho, sometimes not happening for a week and lmthis time for a month.

I have already replaced the ball joints, u-joints, drag link, and the track bar bushings, and still the klunk happens. Some have mentioned the steering box, but trying to avoid that expense, and I assumed if it was them it would happen all the time. So as I was looking for another possible option, and I noticed the bushings weren't centered, and didn't know if that was an issue.

Please let me know, and if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears
Old 06-14-2017, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The bushings appear to be offset out of the factory but they're just fully seated in the housing. Did you check all suspension torque before going bushing? Is it in the steering shaft or body? The lower steering shaft can also develop a clunk and it'll be random.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I installed my lift I put on adj. trackbars. After a few months one of the front trackbar bolts loosened up and caused a clanking sound sometimes. I put on some loctite and torqued it down again and my problem went away.

Double check nothing has come loose.

Quick Reply: Front upper control arm bushings