Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fuel capacity loss - smashed skid/tank or sensor? PROVEN

Old 04-26-2010, 10:59 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RubiJK
My first reaction to this was that Chrysler wouldnt be so stupid as to design a tank that wouldnt allow nearly 2 gallons of gas to be utilized due to the rake of the vehicle... but then I remembered all of the idiotic design flaws I have come across while working on my JK and would say that it is plausible.

Anyway, the data and circumstances are here for everybody to draw their own conclusions from...
you ever try wheeling down a very steep rocky section of trail with less than half a tank of gas? trust me, not only will your gas light come on, you will find the idiotic design flaw to be very real.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you know i can atest to that. I have a 2 door and when its gets steep and your going straight down that loight comes on. Ive even had the engine shut off lol but like you said WOL for me its 1/2 a tank. Makes sense i guess. Thats what we get for it not being where the muffler is.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick comment guys . . . electric in-tank fuel pumps require cooling and lubrication. They get both from the fuel they're immersed in. Thus, it's not a great idea to run your tank dry if you can avoid it, as interesting and informative as this thread has proven to be.

No flame, just a thought.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran mine down until the gauge said 35 TO EMPTY and then another 10 miles on FUEL LO and could only get 20.6 gallons in the tank. I was curious of this as well.

Quick Reply: Fuel capacity loss - smashed skid/tank or sensor? PROVEN